Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocked all the codes down to EGR. I believe the sensor is fried because it's throwing EGR codes on a KOEO test, which has nothing to do with vacuum.
    I have an EGR simulator on the way. Hope it works...

Also checked timing. Dead on 12* BTDC and advances well with mild throttle.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Fuel pressure checked out while sitting. I didn't have time to pull the hood to check it under load.

I did, however, pull the filter since I had a new one... and I could HARDLY blow through it. Got a headache from trying (either from trying to blow or from taking long breaths while holding a used fuel filter). Either way, I installed a new filter and it's A LOT better, but something's still not right. I'm willing to bet the EGR crap is what's still throwing me off.

Oh- firing order is right, too.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

well thats good

Comment

TPS is back out of range from when I adjusted the idle screw. I'm gonna pull it when I wake up this afternoon and drill the fawk out of it (again) so I can get it back within safe parameters. I think that'll make a big deal of difference.

Comment

Good to hear you're closer to getting things going. I wish I had an idea of what to tell ya, but I'm totally clueless. I still gotta get over there and get a closer look at teh wagon. Hurry and get that bitch running right, cause my box should be here in a couple weeks. :evil:

Comment

Do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, or a stock one? If its adjustable, maybe try bumping the pressure up some.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's adjustable. I'm not bumping the fuel pressure unless I know something's wrong. Bumping fuel pressure is never a fix unless it's too low to begin with (which it's not).

Tom- I forgot to tell you... yes; the spout connector is in.

Comment

If you want diagnose and tune correctly, you need the proper tools. you need a vaccum gauge to make sure manifold vaccum is correct and you have full manifold vaccum on the hose for fuel pressure regulator. you also need a hand held vaccum pump, so you can apply vaccum to various vacuum operated devices to make sure they operate.
                  A decent code reader is also invaluble, especially one that can do an engine running self test.
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Fuel pressure on this motor may not be the same as what is needed by a stock motor. You might need to bump it to make the fuel mix correct.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This motor IS a stock motor.

88grandmarq- vacuum junk will come soon enough. I'm knocking out what I know is wrong before I venture into other things. If it's at the right pressure with and without vacuum how could it not be getting proper vacuum?

Comment

Woot!
                        Drilled the fuck out of my TPS again (gotta be gentle bolting it down, now, or the walls of the bolt openings will collapse) and got it down to 1.00v!!
                        I free-revved it a couple of times to listen for popping and got nothing. I took it out on the road and almost couldn't keep it straight!

It's cutting out at 4,500 RPMs now, but I'll do the fuel pressure test while on the road and see if that's it.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, as random as some of them were (no more random than some of mine, of course).

Comment

Well, no, its not a stock motor. Its a stock Explorer engine with a stock HO camshaft in a Crown Vic, parts that never were assembled together. The fuel pressure setting specified by a stock HO (or lopo for that matter) engine may not be valid for this engine, since there is more airflow because of the heads and intake, which would require a bit more fuel to match up the mixture properly.

Comment

Essentially the motor is stock, so Freshmeat is correct. the ECM has a pretty wide adaptive strategy and should automatically adjust for 14.7:1 A/F ratio provided it gets the correct information and there are no mechanical faults, such as vaccum leaks or an injector problem, the pump is on its way out or there is a restriction in the fuel supply

TPS Voltage should be below 1.0 volt at idle. at 1.0 volt or more, the ECM assumes the throttle is activated and the motor is under load.

you havent mentioned what your fuel pressure is yet. with vaccum applied you should have 28-32 psi at idle, with no vaccum on the regulator you should have 38-42 psi at idle. fuel pressure should not drop below 25psi when the motor is under load.
                            Last edited by 88grandmarq; 07-16-2006, 01:58 PM.
                            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I believe you said the filter was new but replaced it because it was restrictive already. The screen in your tank might be clogged da bit to.
                              Also I am not shure but the P heads might not like as much timing as the E7 heads. The spark plug boss in the P heads restricts air flow across the chamber. Also because of the boss larger valves cant be put in the P heads. So if you ever want to port them E7s will out perform them with bigger valves.
                              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

TPS can be within .6-1.2 to properly operate. When the engine starts up, the computer zeros out the TPS reading as long as it is within those parameters. Anything else and it will disregard the TPS.

I haven't mentioned exact fuel pressure because I can't remember it. I want to say it was 34 with vacuum at idle and 39 with no vacuum. I'll check it tomorrow and let you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X