Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do tell more of these thumpers scott. Ive heard you mention them but I never knew they provided that much of an increase in power.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

yes mercracer a used explorer combo is the way to go pricewise, but i had a low mile ho shortblock, machine shop wanted 350 for a 3 angle valve job, new seats, and resurfacing, and even more for porting. to me the 599 plus 68 bucks it cost to send the cores back to thumper was worth it to me.......my car pulls like a freight train with a worn out aod..........alot better than other ho powered boxes that i've driven...therefore my faith in thumper..........we'll see how my gt40p headed e cammed motor does in the vic mang!
      scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Good info, thanks. I'll have to wait and see how cheaply I can find low mile 40ps. If the headers for gt40ps wern't so expensive Id be all over them. But the towny needs a new engine so first things first. :cuss:
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Engine:

E1) The opening on the throttlebody to which I was previously referring is not the TPS. It is on the very top, whereas the TPS is on the side. My brother-in-law is going to cut a block-off plate (if he'll ever get off his ass) while he's at work. I'm almost positive it's the MAF sensor location, but I'm not sure.

E2)How do I modify the throttle cable bracket when I flip it to the driver's side? I'm thinking I'll at least need to rotate the throttle body 90* so the bracket will be on the bottom, like stock... am I correct?

E3) Oil filter mount- I found a part number that was listed on the other thread (F1AZ-6890-B)- is that a Ford part or do the parts stores carry them, too?

E4) What are my options for the air temperature sending unit? I saw that some of you zip-tied it out of the way while others debated alternative methods...

E5) Any suggestions anyone would like to make that I may need to know while I'm doing this?

E6) Kevin- where's my ECM?

Transmission:

T1) Mercracer- did you ever find those wire colors I need to splice into the stock harness?

T2) How does the clutch release once I let off the pedal? As far as I'm seeing, there are no springs in the transmission that would push the clutch fork back out. Is it one of the springs that came off the pedal bracket that actually push the cable back out? I rebuilt the entire hydraulic clutch assembly on my 300ZX, but have no cable clutch experience.

T3) What type dino and synthetic gear oils should I use? The parts store didn't have anything listed and I can't get hold of my buddy who runs the Mustang shop.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions by the time I get home, just wanted to get these posted before I forget them.
          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
          1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
          1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

E1.....NOT MAF hole A MAF sensor is a totally seperate unit. Have any pics?

E2...At the most all you have to do is redrill your holes and add a stud to get the Exploder throttle body to work. The typical caveman way is to grind the levers off and swap them. This is seldom necessary. I will be by all of my parts this weekend to get more pics and see the difference.

E3......A Ford parts counter is the only place you will find the oil filter adapter

E4......Depending on the casting of your lower intake, there will be a boss cast in for you to drill and tap. Get the number and I will take a pic to show you.

E5.......Take you time and ask more questions before doing anything silly

Comment

Take my time and ask questions before doing anything silly?

Shit, you should have told me that $2,500 ago, Dick!

Seriously, though- my son broke my digital camera, so I can't get pictures unless I sweet-talk a friend out of his temporarily.

I found two sets of numbers on the lower:
              RFF87E9K461BB
              Does that help?
              2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

That is the late intake. It should have the boss. I have one like it, but like I said, I won't be up there until the weekend to check it out so that I can see what you have to work with. The boss will be towards the back of the intake on one of the runners.

Comment

T2) if its like any normal cable clutch arrangement, the pedal will have a slight spring just for pedal return. Usually the clutch fork also has a small spring. On my VW the spring was wound around the arm that stuck out of the side of the bellhousing. Actual force on the clutch is provided by the pressure plate. Pressing in on the center of the plate pivots the springs to reduce pressure on the clutch, providing a gap between the clutch surface and the flywheel. Letting off the center of the plate puts pressure back on. Pushing on the middle of the plate is accomplished by the throwout bearing, which is operated by the clutch fork. If you get a pressure plate in your hands you'll see how it operates. If you have a junk one and feel like playing, throw it on the floor and step in the middle of the back side (where the fingers are) and you'll see how the pivot action works.

E1) pictures would help, but I'm going to take a stab and say its for the IAC ?

If its the IAC, you aren't going to want to block that off. Install the IAC motor so it will actually idle properly.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

TPS is on top, IAC is on the side. On the lo po TB anyway...
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

T2----you definitely need a spring on your clutch fork.

Dude, look at your wagon throttle body. You should have the same stuff on your Explorer throttle body. If you are missing your IAC motor, get one and bolt it on. While it is off, pick up an idle control plate from the dealer when you go in to get your filter adapter. It comes with longer screws and a gasket.

Comment

why u need an idle control plate? i dont have one, my lincoln and the other two ho boxes around here run and idle well?

does the exploder iac have the same plug as our boxes?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                          TPS is on top, IAC is on the side. On the lo po TB anyway...
                          I think the Exploder TB is rotated 90 degrees from ours, the throttle lever sticks out of the side, not the bottom like a Vic, etc.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

same tb except it's 65mm i have an explorer tb on my towncar

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                              why u need an idle control plate? i dont have one, my lincoln and the other two ho boxes around here run and idle well?

does the exploder iac have the same plug as our boxes?
                              I think that the plug is a little different. I will have pics by Sunday. Anyone who is planning on running a bigger than HO cam or even improved heads/intake/exhaust can benefit from the plate. The plates are actually originally intended for stock cars with a problem idle. It makes fine tuning of idle RPM a breeze. Some cars have more of a problem than others, so the plate is a tool to help out. My Vic had one on it when I bought it, and it is a stock cruiser.

Comment

Jesus- I go to get drunk at Hooters and ya'll have taken off with my thread! Let me try to accurately reply to each of you in between work files and 3 hours of sleep last night...

Merc- thanks for that information. I'll check for the boss when I get home. Now that I think about it, I'd swear there's already a sensor in the lower intake on the rear passenger side... but I'm not positive.

Gadget- thanks for that brief (yet detailed) description of clutch activation/deactivation. I'm sure it'll make more sense after I've had some sleep and this hangover is gone. I had two springs on the stock Mustang pedal assembly. I knew it would be wise to hang on to them! I'll need to figure out a way to have one applying release pressure on the new pedal assembly. Again, thanks! Oh- and I think you're right about the IAC! I hadn't even thought about that! I'll take a look when I get home to verify. The IAC on my wagon only has 15k miles, so I'll re-use that, as well as all the sensors, since almost all of them are new (but the O2s are already shot).

85crown- that's how it is on a wagon, but if you look at your throttlebody and rotate it counterclockwise 90*, you'll get the position of an Explorer throttle body.

lincolnmania- did you modify the TB bracket? Are you SURE it's from an Explorer? On the Explorer, it's rotated so the accelerator cable is on the side and it pushes forward. By swapping it and rotating it to fit like the stock CV TB, the bracket would push toward the driver's fender. Suggestions?

Merc- do you have a part number on that plate or can I just ask for the idle control plate? I'm hoping to get over to the dealership on my lunch break for the oil filter adapter and I'll go ahead and spring for the plate you're talking about, since my cars are famous for problem idles (which is why I've replaced all the sensors and rebuilt my vacuum system three times).

Comment

Working...
                                X