Stick-shift conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
    For me, only worth doing if the ECU can blip the throttle to match revs on downshifts...
    I would think that would be pretty much mandatory on any flappy-paddle application? Or are there systems that don't do that and just unceremoniously chunk it down a gear like an AOD placed in "1"?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
      I may take you up on that offer if my other friend ends up being too busy to give me a hand. Either way, we gotta hang out some time... doesn't make sense to live so close to eachother and never meeting.
      For when the internet isn't enough, find your live-action panther fun here

BTW, I went out to Mark's Auto Parts last night, as they were supposed to have there first show (I always though it started on Memorial Day, but it did indeed start last night). It was cancelled because of the wet lawn...
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        I would think that would be pretty much mandatory on any flappy-paddle application? Or are there systems that don't do that and just unceremoniously chunk it down a gear like an AOD placed in "1"?
        Anytime I down shift an auto, I match revs just like when I'm trying to save the synchros and not upset the car in a manual trans. All my POS vids illustrate this fact. Until recently, rev-matching was only for the exotics. The first application stateside was actually the Cadillac STS, of all things. Quite a few cars have the ability nowadays. ViperGTS guy picked me up in a rental G35 sedan that had a 5-spd auto that matched revs. It was smooth, and fun, to downshift through the gears with the ECU blipping the revs perfectly every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
          It's pretty damn cheap man.

There are five main costs;
          transmission, anywhere from free-$500 or more.
          clutch, $150 ish
          flywheel, $200 ish
          95 CV barke booster, $80 ish
          mustang pedal assembly. $30-50ish.

Hopefully with the tranny you get the bell housing, clutch fork, shifter, and shift handle. I had to purchase that stuff separately, however I got my T5 for free. You do NOT need a new drive shaft to do the conversion. All said and done I was under $700, but if you buy a nice T5 and nice clutch and fly wheel, you could easily be around $1500-$2000. Honestly, I wish I had done an aluminum fly wheel.
          Are you 100% sure I wouldn't need a new driveshaft? This is on an '88 Town Car, and keep in mind a Town Car has a longer wheelbase than your Crown Vic. And if you truly don't need a new driveshaft, I'm wondering why Freshmeat's article mentioned needing a 92+ driveshaft, pinion, and adapter of some sort.

I could push back the project further and save up to have a custom aluminum driveshaft built, but I'd rather avoid that unless I absolutely can't.

Out of curiousity, and because I don't fully understand these things just yet, why do you wish you had gotten an aluminum flywheel? If I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it entirely right the first time.

Comment

The driveshaft yoke is the same for both the aod and t5... However the tc trans is longer, so custom stuff will be needed.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
              Anytime I down shift an auto, I match revs just like when I'm trying to save the synchros and not upset the car in a manual trans. All my POS vids illustrate this fact. Until recently, rev-matching was only for the exotics. The first application stateside was actually the Cadillac STS, of all things. Quite a few cars have the ability nowadays. ViperGTS guy picked me up in a rental G35 sedan that had a 5-spd auto that matched revs. It was smooth, and fun, to downshift through the gears with the ECU blipping the revs perfectly every time.
              The Caddy does that indeed, but what I have a big issue with is the delay of the actual downshift - I've seen as bad as 2 seconds, which I find absolutely unacceptable considering the situations you usually downshift manually.

Comment

What's a G35?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

an Infiniti if I'm guessing right.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Why couldn't you use a Hyd. clutch instead of the mechanical clutch?
                    89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

You could; it's just never been tried in a Panther application, at least to our knowledge.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        an Infiniti if I'm guessing right.
                        Infiniti version of the Nissan 350Z. Except it seats 2+2 instead of just 2.
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Seems like I heard somewhere something about '90-'91 having something different going on with the driveshafts - but that still wouldn't have affected freshmeat's wagon. Or maybe that was the tranny crossmember I was thinking about.

KornIce (dunno if he's on here or not) also did a conversion: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/250410/13
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yes, because the Town Car transmission's output shaft is longer you will need to either use a custom drive shaft, or make/get a driveshaft spacer to make up for the needed extra length.

An aluminum flywheel is lighter that stock (usually more than 50% which is roughly 10-15lbs less). Less mass in the rotating assembly of the engine lets the engine rev faster. However, for a big car or heavy load a heavier flywheel makes it easier to engage without stalling. I don't know if you have ever been to a road course with highly modified P1 and P2 Corvettes, but those things are really hard to start without stalling. As somewhat of a reference those 700hp cars with experienced drivers commonly stall in the pits.

Comment

I'm thinking I may try and setup a hydraulic clutch setup on mine if I give this a go, I was looking at my service manual and the Hydraulic setup in the Thunderbird/Cougars, doesn't look like it would be that hard to adapt to a panther with a T5.
                              Resident diesel addict

Comment

Rangers were also hydraulic IIRC...
                                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                                X