No announcement yet.

Stick-shift conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumb question, probably since I'm not very familiar with clutch operation - what exactly is double-clutching?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Gravity bleed it first, once you get fluid dripping out the bleeder, do like you would with a brake pedal and it should be OK. Fluid depends on the system, usually brake fluid but I've actually seen some use ATF, and my friend had a Datsun that used vegetable oil believe it or not. It should say on the reservoir cap what to put in there.
      Cap has been replaced at some point, as this one says nothing on it, so i poured in some brake fluid. Problem with the bleeding tho - there ain't no bleeder screw!!! The thing has an internal slave cylinder, as the line from the master cylinder goes through the tranny case into something with a rubber dust boot on it that seems to connect to the clutch, and I didn't see no clutch for nowhere! How do you bleed something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        dumb question, probably since I'm not very familiar with clutch operation - what exactly is double-clutching?
        Its exactly what it sounds like. For example, on a 1-2 upshift, if you were going to double clutch, you would depress the clutch, shift through neutral, let the clutch up, and then push the lutch back down, shift into second, and let the clutch up a second time, with the vehicle in 2nd gear.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Usually used for non-synchronized transmissions. Usually you can't shift them otherwise. The only other way is to shift them right at the speed where they're naturally synchronized, in which case you don't even need the clutch.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Untill I was introduced to the T5 I only used the clutch at a stop. The puny gears in the T5 just dont like shifting with out the clutch. Dont think the aluminum shift forks like it either.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Usually used for non-synchronized transmissions. Usually you can't shift them otherwise. The only other way is to shift them right at the speed where they're naturally synchronized, in which case you don't even need the clutch.
              Seriously?? Sounds like a major pain in the butt. Good thing I have yet to drive a car with a non-syncro gearbox ....

Comment

My t5 shifted wonderfully. Only needed the clutch to start off....and sometimes not even to start. It's tough to drive a stick car with completely blown knees on a bad day. My protege is the only car I've had that I couldn't shift without the clutch- the damn thing barely shifts WITH the clutch....
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Does it just take time to learn when to execute a clutchless shift?

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    My protege is the only car I've had that I couldn't shift without the clutch- the damn thing barely shifts WITH the clutch....
                    I have yet to meet a Mazda manual trans that I liked, Miata excluded.

Once you're familiar with the shift points, it can be done easily. Most Hondas and Nissans I've had were a breeze to shift without clutching. Now my Subaru on the other hand, needs the clutch stroked to the firewall in order to shift at all. And, forget about going into 1st gear over 5 MPH. I need to drive another one to see what's up.
                    Last edited by torquelover; 05-18-2008, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Seriously?? Sounds like a major pain in the butt. Good thing I have yet to drive a car with a non-syncro gearbox ....
                      Try doing that to a big truck, like 18-wheeler big :p Now you know why I hate bolt-actions in anything small and non-diesel, tis completely different from what I'm used to and the shifts honestly feel very very wrong.

Comment

Its not hard to do in a medium duty truck (26.5K-33K GVWR). I was able to do it the first time I tried on my Dad's big truck. In the truck though, it isn't all that beneficial with long gears (the truck I did it in is only a 5 speed). If you line the revs up right, its very easy to get it in gear. If you don't line the revs up right, you have to really "man handle" the stick to get it in/ out.

I've never driven more than an 8/9 speed though. I'd imagine with that many gears or more, it'd be really convenient to snatch gears without the use of the clutch.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I double-clutch out of habit because in my old truck the synchros in the 3-2 shift were so shot that it HAD to be done to downshift. 3 to OD always shifted smooth as butter (frozen butter) though. Plus the S10 at my job doesn't like to downshift at higher RPMs (and sometimes not even at idle either), and I like to engine brake, so double-clutching comes in very handy for those shitty transmissions. Either way, it's only giving relieving some of the work from the synchros so it's not exactly a habit I'd prefer to kick.

There is one Mazda 5spd I like. We have a delivery truck at work, a '97 Mazda B2300, that with 230,000 miles on it, shifts absolutely amazingly... better than that fucking '98 S10 with half the mileage. That truck's basically a Ranger I know, but IIRC it uses a Mazda motor and tranny, doesn't it? The 4-cylinder one?

Comment

No ford pinto 2.3L and a ford or Zf trans....it's a rebadged ranger
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                              Its not hard to do in a medium duty truck (26.5K-33K GVWR). I was able to do it the first time I tried on my Dad's big truck. In the truck though, it isn't all that beneficial with long gears (the truck I did it in is only a 5 speed). If you line the revs up right, its very easy to get it in gear. If you don't line the revs up right, you have to really "man handle" the stick to get it in/ out.
                              Interesting. So do you match revs whilst in the Neutral gate, or just snatch the handle straight back?

Comment

I used to just pull the shifter right through the gears with the VW. Let off the gas a little to unload the trans, pull it through neutral, and let completely off the gas as you do. The engine will wind down to where the next gear wants it to be and it'll pop right in without a fight. It takes a little practice to get your timing right with the shifting and gas pedal operation but its not that hard. I used to do it with the VW because the 2-3 synchro was shot and it would grind otherwise. If I timed it right, it would shift with or without clutch and not make any noises. I also used that trick when i snapped a clutch cable and didn't have time for a few days to replace the thing. Downshifting was a bit of a pain in the ass but with patience it could be done. Usually needed a rev of the motor in neutral to synch it up tho.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X