No announcement yet.

Type F in a AOD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically where Pirate and 1987cp are getting at is that you can run your C6 with just the vacuum line attached and the kickdown is purely optional, whereas the AOD don't have a vacuum line and instead uses that rod to adjust the line pressure so adjusting the rod can save or kill an AOD.

Also, what they said on the fluids, AOD takes Dextron/Mercon III, which is your regular trans fluid that can be found about anywhere for like $3 a quart. Type F has different hydraulic properties, and the AOD valve body will not tolerate it for long.

Comment

O ok.. i see now. i guess i really have not looked at the trans too much yet.. i have read about how to set the tv cables, but have not really found too much about the proper seting on the rod settings... off to the "stickys" i go...
      sigpic

Comment

Well you're actually supposed to do it with a pressure gauge installed in one of the ports on the passenger-side of the trans, but mine I just set it to near max TV pressure - unhook cable from TB, manually move the TB to WOT state, yank on the cable till the trans gets to WOT state, then back off the cable a tad and hook it back to the TB lever.

Be advised, however, that the TV rod on the early AOD works opposite to the cable found on later AODs - when a cable disconnects the trans goes to idle line pressure and you burn up the clutches, whereas when the rod gets loose the trans defaults to WOT line pressure and you can really do much damage to it at all. Not sure as to why Ford went from your setup to the cable one, especially since the same exact logic can be executed with a cable as well... Take a pic of your TBI linkage tho, and post it here, as there are two ways the TV rod can be hooked up to the TBI and adjustments of those are totally opposite, and I'm not sure which setup Ford used.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smoke'n'rattle View Post
          Well you're actually supposed to do it with a pressure gauge installed in one of the ports on the passenger-side of the trans.
          :worship: you are the first person i heard say that critically correct information.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nope, not really, Thain repeats it times and again whenever that question comes up, but no one seems to listen.

Comment

Nope, not really, Thain repeats it times and again whenever that question comes up, but no one seems to listen.
              ok then lol :worship: you are the second person to say it.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I don't follow my own advice. I don't have the guage or the spacer block. I screw with it till it feels right. The LSC has a zip tie in there adding pressure because I didn't feel like unhooking it and doing it the right way.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A good friend of mine has a panther with an AOD. It was running fine. He did his own "shade tree mechanic" tranny fluid change and used type-F. His trans blew a week later. At first we though it just went bad till he mentioned the type-F thing.
                  Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                  Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                  Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                  Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                  sigpic

Comment

Basically where Pirate and 1987cp are getting at is that you can run your C6 with just the vacuum line attached and the kickdown is purely optional
                    When did I say that? :p I like automatic WOT downshifting!
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Take a pic of your TBI linkage tho, and post it here, as there are two ways the TV rod can be hooked up to the TBI and adjustments of those are totally opposite, and I'm not sure which setup Ford used.
                      I'll do that some time tomarrow. I had it adjusted like i would a kickdown on a C6, where both the TBI and the trans where at WOT at the same time, but the trans wouldn't shift into overdrive when i was at WOT pushin 5,000 RPM on the tach. lol so i tryed to fallow the adjustment procedure on the sicky http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=2601 But on the TBI it does not even have a screw with 13 threads, it only has about 10-11 threads.. But i do have it set now so i get a 3-2 downshift at 45mph...
                      sigpic

Comment

Your initial adjustment was pretty good, especially considering that AODs are not supposed to stay in OD at WOT conditions - there is actually a valve body modification that is needed to allow that, tis part of some aftermarket shift kits. 3-2 downshift at 45mph seems a bit high, but at the same rate that's exactly where the OD-3 downshift happens with the factory settings, so your current adjustment is still way better than factory.

Comment

Really? i thought it should shift into OD some time even at WOT.... i didn't want to run it much past 5,000 RPM. But this is the first OD tranny i have owned. lol. the shifts felt alot better with the first setting i had it at, they feel alittle "loose" for my liking right now. but i think a shift kit will help that.. and playin with the adjustment a bit more..
                          sigpic

Comment

not supposed to shift into overdrive at wide open throttle

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Question ref the C4 Kickdown.

Basically where Pirate and 1987cp are getting at is that you can run your C6 with just the vacuum line attached and the kickdown is purely optional, whereas the AOD don't have a vacuum line and instead uses that rod to adjust the line pressure so adjusting the rod can save or kill an AOD.

Also, what they said on the fluids, AOD takes Dextron/Mercon III, which is your regular trans fluid that can be found about anywhere for like $3 a quart. Type F has different hydraulic properties, and the AOD valve body will not tolerate it for long.

Im thinking of going with a C4. I know it needs a vacuum signal from the engine. Some mention that the kickdown lever/cable is optional. I understand that, but does it come with a cost? I dont mean with reliability (I know the whole bit about how the AOD cable/lever works differently.) I want ot keep things simple under the hood, so originaly did not want a kickdown. However, I dont want to down shift manualy. Whats the negative to not running a kickdown? If there is none, then why is it even an option to have one? Thanks
                              Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                              Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                              Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                              Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                              sigpic

Comment

No kickdown means no passing gear. Floor it when you're in third, and it will not downshift. You can drop it to second manually with the gear shifter though. Basically it makes for better acceleration.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X