No announcement yet.

TV bushing and what else? (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome news! Went to the parts store and found some rubber grommets that fit almost perfectly! Its just until I get the OEM part but it works just fine. I was considering to zip tie the thing but I'm glad I didnt. I'll put up a pic of the grommets tomorrow for others reference. Thanks allot for the help guys!
    88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

how long does us mail take from the mainland? i always have the brass bushings on hand..........iirc the price is up to 7.50 ea.....i just restocked about a month ago

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Okay so here are the rubber grommets I'm using. I've put in a new grommet once since I started using these few days ago. I'm going to change it out again tomorrow morning, not sure if its the movement or the heat but the current one looks a little deformed.

I have noticed some issues with the shifting but between the sluggish tranny, rubber grommet and no rpm gauge,I can't tell whats going on. I think I'm still having symptoms of messed up throttle from the rubber grommets so I'm not sure if anything else is wrong with the trans. Hopefully, not too much.

Anyways, I'm picking up the bushings from Lincolnmania. The dealership gave me two options.

1. Order two plastic bushings for around 10 bucks.
        2. Order a set of four brass bushings for 40 bucks.

Yeah, I don't think so.
        88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Your grommet is looking deformed because it's rubber. Probably experiencing a slightly delayed TV response. The bushing kit sold under the Help! label (and Dorman also, I think) that I had in mind contains plastic/fiber bushings. Oh well, the rest of that kit will come in handy next time you have some wires to run through a firewall or something.

Once you get the brass bushing from Scott (or even before if you want), try checking the adjustment of the TV cable. Apparently, they were usually set at the factory with no tension at idle, but you'll probably like it better with a small amount of tension at idle. (if you can get your hands on a suitable oil pressure gauge, a couple of different guys can walk you through the fancy adjustment procedure.)

That reminds me, I've got a couple more questions for that one guy ....
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            Your grommet is looking deformed because it's rubber. Probably experiencing a slightly delayed TV response. The bushing kit sold under the Help! label (and Dorman also, I think) that I had in mind contains plastic/fiber bushings. Oh well, the rest of that kit will come in handy next time you have some wires to run through a firewall or something.

Once you get the brass bushing from Scott (or even before if you want), try checking the adjustment of the TV cable. Apparently, they were usually set at the factory with no tension at idle, but you'll probably like it better with a small amount of tension at idle. (if you can get your hands on a suitable oil pressure gauge, a couple of different guys can walk you through the fancy adjustment procedure.)

That reminds me, I've got a couple more questions for that one guy ....
            Okay thanks for the tip. I'll check it out tomorrow and report back. Oh and the rubber grommets were the only thing that seemed like it would fit. I picked it up at the local car parts store. There are no autozones or massive auto accessory stores on this island. I guess maybe if I went to a general parts store I could have found something. Oh well. But yeah, I'll check the tension tomorrow. Thanks.
            88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

I'd thought CarQuest would have had the kit I had in mind too, but hopefully those things are holding well enough that you won't cook anything worse. :p

Comment

I'd thought CarQuest would have had the kit I had in mind too, but hopefully those things are holding well enough that you won't cook anything worse. :p
                Although the part says Carquest I got it at some regular car parts store. But yeah, hopefully it'll hold up.
                88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

those grommets you have are not correct at all, but are better than nothing. I doubt they have anything to keep them from popping out again, especially if it is getting deformed. Keep an eye on it untill you get the right part!
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

So I changed in a new grommet and the old one seemed fine. The gap was a little bit bigger so I guess it a little bit of room to move around. Otherwise, the grommets fit perfect. I'm just going to change it out every couple days till I get the brass one. So can anybody tell me what is happening when its disconnected? What is it damaging? Just curious.
                    88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Two basic things happen with the TV cable disconnected:

1) Premature shifting under all driving conditions. Lugs the engine and can put unnecessary strain on stuff in general

2) Insufficient fluid pressure on many (all?) bands and clutches inside the transmission. Picture driving a manual-trans car where the clutch never fully engages and slips all the time ... bad situation.

Comment

] Picture driving a manual-trans car where the clutch never fully engages and slips all the time ... bad situation.
                        88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

yeah, its that bad. 10 miles with the cable unhooked can ruin an AOD.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay so I replaced the bushing but there seems to be another problem.

Key point, the trans seems to drive almost perfect when its cool outside and slips like crazy when its hot outside. When its hot, the trans doesnt seem to want to go into the next gear. I have to speed up to 30 in first and put it in neutral and then when the rpms fall again, i put it back into OD and it will change. But if I push the gas too much, it will kinda start slipping and then it will lock on a little better and start moving. When hot, it often stays in this slipping mode so Ive been driving around shifting it into neutral and putting it back into gear for the past week.

I thought at first maybe my throttle cable needed to be adjusted so i read about putting zip ties on it to check. Well I got the zip ties on it and seems to have helped a little, but that might be that I just dont need to push the pedal so far down to get the car moving so it seems like its helping. I hope its not my transmission, cause I did take 6 people up a 14 thousand feet mountain the other weekend and my trans was smelling a little bit...
                            88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

If everything checks out (TV cable and fluid level, mostly) and it's slipping, it may be time to start saving for a rebuild. Or buy a known good core and toss it in. Possibly it was just driven too long with the TV cable unhooked.

Comment

change the fluid and the filter........you have a 50/50 chance.......either it will improve, or it will die

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                                X