No announcement yet.

Thermactor and EGR Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay thanks for the pic. I will clean it first and see if it does anything.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
      Yes, they do get nasty. You can try cleaning it with carb cleaner, then spraying it with penetrating lube to un-stick it, but its possible that the IAC is bad and will need to be replaced. Try cleaning it first.

The IAT (intake air temp, also called air charge temperature) will affect idle, and fuel mixture. Clean it first, since often they just get coated with goop. Its in the lower intake manifold on the #5 intake runner.Passenger side front, behind #5 injector.

The fuel mixture is just right. Clean exhaust. But I'll check it anyways.

Comment

When they get out of range, usually you can tell because the idle surges up and down. If its not doing that, don't fool with it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

when the air temp sensor went on my bros 91, when starting it would go high for a sec and idle down right away.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Mine's fine. I won't touch it then.

Comment

I'll concentrate on cleaning the IAC, and see if it will warm up without my help. If it does thats good. And I'll rund a scan test on it to see if the EGR valve is working correctly too. I will let you guys know tomorrow.

Comment

Let us know what code or codes you're actually getting on the EGR. Different codes mean different likely problems.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Let us know what code or codes you're actually getting on the EGR. Different codes mean different likely problems.
                  The one I got was 'EGR Insufficient Flow Detected' Code 34.

And also, I got a 'Coolant Temperature Sensor out of range' Code 21. Which is bull because I just replaced that. I think it may be the wires that connect to it. Because, for a time, after I replaced it, there was no code. So I think it just may be wires.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX
                    And also, I got a 'Coolant Temperature Sensor out of range' Code 21. Which is bull because I just replaced that.
                    make sure the engine is warmed up fully before you check the codes, or you might get this one every time.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                      make sure the engine is warmed up fully before you check the codes, or you might get this one every time.
                      I did. I am certain it's the wires. Because I just replaced that sensor.

Comment

I am going to do the tests tomorrow. I will inform all of you then. I am going to clean the IAC. Wish me luck.

Comment

Gentlemen! (and ladies) No more emission codes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Idles like a champ. Still a cold starting problem though.

Only code left is the Coolant Temperature Sensor Code. Would that code come on if it didn't have or get enough coolant to the sensor? I still think it's the wires but I just want to know if that would do it.

Comment

It wouldn't be related to the coolant level. You can meter out the CTS to see if its good with a multimeter. A bad temp sensor can also be related to the cold start trouble.

So what exactly did you fix/replace to clear the codes?

Comment

Oh okay, thanks that helps alot. I just replaced it I need to check voltage of the wires to the coolant temp sensor. And that damn insufficient egr code came back!

Comment

So what exactly did you fix/replace to clear the codes?
                                My shop teacher, has a snap on diagnositc tool. You can clear the codes in the menu. It's really nice. Even if you disconnect the battery, those codes still stay on it. But this thing clears the codes.

Comment

Working...
                                X