Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3G page is up - need more info, pics, tips, and suggestions

here she blows

same deal as the big brakes page please add your input - this is a GMN page lets make it as complete as possible.

I still need a good shot of the 3G installed in a box showing the terminals in detail if possible, also I remember someone posted a nice list of a lot of 3G large/small case applications but couldnt find it... anyone got it??
    Also someone posted pics of a small case and large case next to each other to show the visual distinctions... who's got it?????
    Also if anyone wants to find more 3G install thread I can link from this page that will help too.
    All help is appreciated and good helpfull additions to these and future pages will get you added rep points so gimmie whatcha got!
    Last edited by 85crownHPP; 06-08-2008, 02:41 PM.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

I'll see if I can get some more pictures for you so that you can put them up. Also, I've noticed that you said that one should run the charge wire directly to the battery or to the starter solenoid. Did you mean the starter solenoid or the relay?
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I think Scott wrote out a ton of 3G applications in one thread. A lot of people use the 95 Mustang 5.0 when using the small case because it's easy to remember. I've some pictures of my 3G and can always take some more if you like. Here's a link to the my 3G album on Photobucket. http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c.../3G%20Upgrade/

For my charge wire it goes, output stud-->Fuse-->Starter Solenoid(pass fender)-->Battery. I used three lengths of wire to do it.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

the most common junkyard found 3ag is from a 3.0 taurus.....a whole conversion can be harvested from one of these commonly found cars in the junkyard.....i like to use the circuit breakers but you can use the fuse from the taurus

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
          I'll see if I can get some more pictures for you so that you can put them up. Also, I've noticed that you said that one should run the charge wire directly to the battery or to the starter solenoid. Did you mean the starter solenoid or the relay?
          Im talking about the solenoid on the fender - 90/91 cars use two solenoids, one on the fender and one on the starter.

If i do one in the 85, it will go alt > breaker > fuse box > solenoid > battery
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

My manual calls the one on the fender a relay, while the one on the starter itself is the solenoid. In any case, why would you run the charge wire through the fuse box, and where on the fuse box would you run it? This seems to be making things a little bit too complicated.
            Originally posted by gadget73
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

not the sotck fuse box, I have a 90's aeros panther fusebox installed under my hood
              sigpic

Comment

since the most common place to pull them would be the mid 90's taurus with the vulcan, then i should be able to upgrade my aerostar to the newer alt as well, since i have an older vulcan? i hope.... cause i would like to install a 130 or 200amp unit
                Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2008, 01:26 AM.

Comment

If the aerostar is a 3.0, then yes it ought to fit.

Also, cable donor source, if you're careful and have time on your hands there is a nice long heavy charge cable on the 3.0 Taurus donor car. Its all bundled up in the wiring harness and is wound up in front of the rad support, so its sort of a pain to remove. If you come across a car with the radiator removed and you have a knife, its not that bad to remove. On the Taurus it runs from the alternator to the under-hood fuse panel. The one I harvested over the weekend was 4 ga and a nice pretty yellow color.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If the aerostar is a 3.0, then yes it ought to fit.

Also, cable donor source, if you're careful and have time on your hands there is a nice long heavy charge cable on the 3.0 Taurus donor car. Its all bundled up in the wiring harness and is wound up in front of the rad support, so its sort of a pain to remove. If you come across a car with the radiator removed and you have a knife, its not that bad to remove. On the Taurus it runs from the alternator to the under-hood fuse panel. The one I harvested over the weekend was 4 ga and a nice pretty yellow color.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You also need a 100 amp bracket for use with the 5.0/5.8 in order to bolt up the large frame 3G
                      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

those brackets are made of unobtanium......just use the small frame 3ag

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Well If your lucky like we are you happen to have a police car with a 5.0 and a 100 amp alternator Oh and theres a problem with doing the swap on cars with heated windshield's
                          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

heated windscreen? oh you mean the defrost on my heater right? :lol:

Comment

no there was a heated windshield option a few yrs.....my 89 vic has the 100 amp altenator but the instaclear windshield has been replaced with a regular windshield

Comment

Working...
                              X