Computer for Future References

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer for Future References

For boxes, where is the computer exactly? What is holding it in, and how would I go about removing it?

under the dash, forward of the parking brake. Look up and you'll see a silver box. to remove, undo the 10mm bolt in the middle of the ECM harness connector from under the hood, and from that point you fight with it till it lets go. Under the dash pull the rear edge of the ecm down and out of the hole in the firewall.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't have to unplug that giant harness under the hood do I?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        I don't have to unplug that giant harness under the hood do I?
        Yes, that is what undoing the 10mm bolt is for, to remove the plug of wires. That is actually the easy part (was in my case).
        Getting the ecm box out from under the dash and the new one back in is the real bitch, especially if the seal gasket slips.
        1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
        1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
        1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
          Yes, that is what undoing the 10mm bolt is for, to remove the plug of wires. That is actually the easy part (was in my case).
          Getting the ecm box out from under the dash and the new one back in is the real bitch, especially if the seal gasket slips.
          Ok then. Though I thought there was a connection at the computer that could be unplugged.

Comment

That's the connection he's talking about. The plug that plugs into the computer is held in by the 10mm bolt.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GL View Post
              That's the connection he's talking about. The plug that plugs into the computer is held in by the 10mm bolt.
              I didn't know that they were one in the same. Ok, I think I got it now. So does that bolt also hold the computer up too?

Comment

no, it just holds the connector to the ECM. There are no bolts holding the ECM in, its sort of wedged in there against a metal clip.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

mine was wedged in place by a couple wire harnesses under the dash... getting it out wasnt too bad, getting it back in was another story. All kinds of crap had fallen into the way, getting into the space where the ECM is supposed to sit.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I sliced my hands up good trying to get the computer out, too many sharp edges under there, so be careful when you pull it if you ever have to.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GL View Post
                      I sliced my hands up good trying to get the computer out, too many sharp edges under there, so be careful when you pull it if you ever have to.
                      I've done that so many times when I had the dash down. Thanks guys for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X