No Horn or Cruise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Horn or Cruise

Horn and Cruise quit working on teh wagon. Pulled out the EVTM. First thing I checked was the horn relay, since the cruise powers through that some how. Replaced the relay with a known good one, no change.

So I figured, let's try something simple now. The fuse box! Fuse #17 (I think it was) controls the horn. Fuse checked good. I got out the test light and I have no juice on any of the terminals in the #17 position (supposed to be hot all the time).

What would cause me to have no volts on #17 in the fuse box? The cruise, horn, and lighter all quit. Everything else works.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

burned fusible link?
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

hhmm i was gonna say clockspring but then a re-read about the no power to the fuse... does your evtm indicate that those 3 things share anything??
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I know that on Vicky, the horn and cigarette lighter run on the same fuse. Are any of the other fuse circuits functioning properly? Have you checked your grounds to make sure they are nice and clean?
        Last edited by 86VickyLX; 01-17-2009, 12:29 AM.

Comment

check the fuses and then check the connections on the horn
          What happened here?

Comment

Everything else in the fuse box seems to be okay from what I can tell. I haven't tested every terminal in the fuse box, but everything else electrical works except for the lighter, horn, and cruise.

I don't have my EVTM with me here at college, but there was something about it linking fuse 16 and 17 together, like 16 powers 17 or something. My owners manual says the lighter is on 16, the horn on 17. Guess I should check fuse 16, huh? I'll do it as soon as it gets above -3 degrees here!

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Fixed.

Fuse 17 was good. BUT it turns out Fuse 17 is powered by Fuse 16, and 16 was blown. I replaced it, tried to blow the horn and the fuse popped. Yay. Time to hunt for shorts.

Starting under the hood, I unplugged the horns and replaced the fuse. The relay clicked and all was well. I hooked up the drivers side horn. Working fine. Then the passenger side too... pop. The wiring over to the passenger side horn looked okay, but felt hot. Unplugged the passenger side horn and everything is now okay. End dianosis: Passenger Side (high-tone) horn shorted out.

Now I have cruise, a lighter, and a horn again (even if it's the low-tone only)!

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                Fixed.

Fuse 17 was good. BUT it turns out Fuse 17 is powered by Fuse 16, and 16 was blown. I replaced it, tried to blow the horn and the fuse popped. Yay. Time to hunt for shorts.

Starting under the hood, I unplugged the horns and replaced the fuse. The relay clicked and all was well. I hooked up the drivers side horn. Working fine. Then the passenger side too... pop. The wiring over to the passenger side horn looked okay, but felt hot. Unplugged the passenger side horn and everything is now okay. End dianosis: Passenger Side (high-tone) horn shorted out. Good to hear you found the problem!

Now I have cruise, a lighter, and a horn again (even if it's the low-tone only)!
                I hate the sound of the car with just the one horn. I blew the high tone horn out. And I couldn't stand the sound of just the low tone one

Comment

Working...
                X