85HPP 3G alternator install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    Could be worse. Not all that long ago, I was afraid to take off my TFI distributor cap to see if there was moisture inside, becuase I thought it might mess with the timing!
    I don't have a clue what that means I know what the distributor is/looks like, but....
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

lol

The short of it is that the distributor cap is very easy to remove and replace without incident, because it's just held on by a couple big clips and has a notch in the rim that makes it impossible to reinstall in the wrong position. Actually swapping caps takes a little more care because you have to make sure the wires stay in the correct order.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

we should have a n00b thread for idiots like myself to ask stupid questions.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

don't wanna start a new thread just for this, but, is it normal for mileage to slightly improve? i'm talking very slightly..1mpg better maybe. if that.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
            Also: This should be inspirational to folks that didn't think they could do something like swap alternators...if an imbecile like myself can do it, anybody can! I can't believe I was so scared to do something so simple.
            Some people have what it takes and they just dont know it
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

How can we tell if we have big alternator bracket??? Cause i got a sable with 3.8l in back yard we getting rid of wondering if its work pulling alt.
              sigpic
              1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

measure from center line to center line

what year sable?
                sigpic

Comment

Stock internally regulated cv/gm (87-91) alternaters

* 65amp rating
                  * small frame, 7" mounting hole cL to cL (center line)

3G alternator (130 amp) for our swap

* comes in large and small frame sizes
                  * small frame can be found stock in 1995 5.0L Mustang
                  * large frame can be found stock in 1993 3.8L Taurus
                  * the small frame is a direct physical fit for the 65A 2G
                  * the large frame is a direct fit for the 100A externally regulated units.
                  * the large frame unit can be used in place of the small 2G if the appropriate bracket is used.
                  * the 3G also comes in 75A, 95A flavors. (Same case sizes)
                  * large 3G runs cooler simply due to larger size
                  * internal fan
                  sigpic

Comment

1993 sable
                    sigpic
                    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

cool. find a cv/gm with the heated windshield option and snag the bigger bracket. cop cars might have had them but i don't know for sure.
                      sigpic

Comment

geuss what my fair friend I have a heated windshield(iirc its the one with wierd yellow tint at top) hahaah
                        sigpic

Comment

you are correct. gold-ish yellow-ish something. you're good to go!
                          sigpic

Comment

Cool, we have a new 3G swap guru!
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I am far from a guru...I just know what you lot told me and what I found on the interweb.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X