rebuilt alternators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuilt alternators

Anyone have any opinions re: rebuilt alternators?

The Alt in my wife's Freestar crapped (We just got back from a 3000 mile trip, she went to the supermarket today & it dumped! Thank you LORD!!!)
    My options are..

Advance Auto-204$
    Pep Boys-140$
    Auto Zone-205$
    NAPA-closed can't check price
    The local Ford Stealership (probably BIG dollars).

I want something that will be good the first time & last a long time.
    The original one just hit 100k miles.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

I like 'USA' brand ones from Fisher
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I've only ever seen issues with the Duralast ones in Chevy Corsicas (those would eat alts like they're going out of style if you drove them hard like my best friend would do to his car).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

i use autozone stuff.....no problems. and if there is, they cover it no questions asked

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

My rebuilt autozone alternator still works just fine.

Their starters on the other hand.....
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Rock Auto's got Motorcraft for 180$, but I need it tomorrow. Also, by the time I add in shipping, core & return shipping it gets ugly...
            Fisher doesn't seem to have an online catalog, but I did find a store about 10 mi away, I didn't even know they were there....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Advance alternators suck. I think I'm on #3 in about 4 years. They also have this limited lifetime nonsense. First one is lifetime warranty, replacement is like a year, unless its been more than 2 years and its missing from their system. Thats actually the only reason I have #3 from there currently. The first one lasted 2 weeks or something. The first one on my truck lasted maybe 2 months before it was pulsing voltage. They gave me a hard time about it too, swearing it was a problem with my truck and not their alternator. Finally got them to give in and replace it, and oddly enough the problem went away.

In the future I'll be rebuilding them myself. The bearings and brushes are cheap. If its something beyond that, then its off to the junkyard for a core.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah I think I went through three advance alternators real quick too...
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I can't stand Autozone or Advanced alternators or starters. I had a Caprice awhile back and it went through 4 starters in in about 2 months before I got a good one, and one on my old Eagles went through 3 Alternators in about 5 months.

Many years ago I managed a Trak Auto parts store and we carried AC Delco,Bosch,Arrow and some really generic brand that I forget the name of. Long story short I was talking a rep from the el-cheapo company and he explained the "re-manufacture" process it seems their buyers would buy bulk lots of alts and starters then bench test them at the facility and the bad/broken components would get replaced and then a clean-up/repaint and then shipped

Needless to say the AC Delco and Bosch units that were the only ones that got totally new guts and only the cases were re used(and the price reflected that ) were the ones that we had the fewest comebacks with while the cheaper brands were comeback kings. Now this was over 15 years ago so I dont know if Delco and Bosch are still doing it right or not but there you have a possible reason why the Autozone and Advance units are rubbish.
                  Current stable:
                  1984 Ford LTD Crown Vic
                  1994 GMC Jimmy 4x4
                  1972 Volkswagen Camper Bus
                  2000 Ford Windstar

Comment

hey man i dont see what year and car you have but you should also check the "pigtail" going to your voltage reg and also your batt terms.
                    My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

Great, I got the advance unit on the way home from work last night. Adv was the only local store that had it in stock. They matched the pep boys price. I hope this thing lasts, my wife & kids drive around in it all the time........

Comment

Originally posted by Lonnie View Post
                        d the bad/broken components would get replaced and then a clean-up/repaint and then shipped
                        yeah, I noticed that one of the remans on the car had a replacement no-name VR on it, while another had an older Motorcraft regulator on it. Unsurprisingly, the noname VR unit failed in about 2 weeks. Anymore I'm just gonna get brushes and bearings and fix them myself. Any idiot can swap those parts out, and most of the time thats whats bad.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X