Car chimes once when I open the door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car chimes once when I open the door

I don't remember the car doing this in the past, but the chime will "ding" once after I park, turn the car off, then open the door.

I like the fact that the car reminds me to turn off the lights, or get the keys out of the ignition, but there's no reason for the "ding".

Anybody else run into this problem?

1991 Mercury Marquis, 5.0L, 100K, original owner

my Mark VI will do this sometimes. I have no clue why either. Just one ding though. I figure it's old fart syndrome on something, but as long as it doesn't just ding all the time... I'm fine with it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My 85 dings, doesn't ding, quietly dings, regularly dings, goodness knows why. I just ignore it completely but it would be nice to know how to fix it.

Pete
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

my lincoln is weird like that. it will ding once when i open the door with the key in ignition. my merc is even weirder. it will ding normally with the engine off, then with the engine running, it will ding real fast lol.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Mine doesn't ding at all and thank god for that.

Comment

The ignition lock is broken, and it's not in the proper 'off' position for the chime. It will chime in any other position than the 'off' position. Though the actual key part of the lock will be off, the dinger will ding when the doors are open, unless you put the chrome part where it's supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              The ignition lock is broken, and it's not in the proper 'off' position for the chime. It will chime in any other position than the 'off' position. Though the actual key part of the lock will be off, the dinger will ding when the doors are open, unless you put the chrome part where it's supposed to be.
              this would count if it would ding while the door is open, but it just makes a single ding and the rest of the time to door is open it doesn't make a peep. hence the weirdness of it all.

broken ignition lock - BTDT on the 93.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ding instead of buzzer? Fancy! Is it like the really modern-sounding ding you hear in people's Mustang exhaust videos?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Mine will ding once with the key in if you open the drivers door. When I bought it it was a steady ding reminding you the key was in and your door open. At least thats what my owners manual say it does though it doesnt matter since it is no longer working correctly. Also mine is a ding not a buzzer and it is definately not a fancy ding like the new mustangs my dads 2012 has an extremely annoying door chime.
                  2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

My 91 does that, the key cylinder is wonky and thinks the key is in it all the time, even if you get it to 'off'
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                      Mine will ding once with the key in if you open the drivers door. When I bought it it was a steady ding reminding you the key was in and your door open. At least thats what my owners manual say it does though it doesnt matter since it is no longer working correctly. Also mine is a ding not a buzzer and it is definately not a fancy ding like the new mustangs my dads 2012 has an extremely annoying door chime.
                      How new is new? All I know is the late-Fox-body door chimes I've heard in videos.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
                        Mine doesn't ding at all and thank god for that.
                        +1
                        “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

still no solution to this problem?

Comment

Is there a solution to this problem

My Key Chime and Seat Belt chime fluctuates from loud to low from time to time. It sounds low so I going to change the voltage regulator in hope this is wear my problem lies or old corroded wires.

Comment

Working...
                            X