No announcement yet.

Dull Tail/Brake Lights? Try this...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lights themselves perty much snap togeather. There is some gummy selant to keep water out like used on windshileds.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by interceptor1985 View Post
      here is an AWESOME write up of something similar being done while doing a sequential turn signal mod, I think this will help the grand marq guys as well.
      LBM-II 1991-1996 Chevy Caprice Impala-SS Impala Rear Taillight Bucket Mods

awesome idea's guys! Perhaps a relay mod much like the one used for headlights might work for taillights as well?
      THANK YOU FOR THIS LINK! I now know what I'm going to do for my front side markers which have water issues and therefor the reflectors are peeling. Now I just need to find some of that reflective mirror tape. Hell of alot better than paying $100+ for proper side markers for the Lincoln.
      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Finally got to see the link. The chrome tape would be much easier to use then what I did. It took me some time to glue all those little mirrors in place. Plus I had to get different sizes to follow the contour of the backing. I did test some chrome paint though, but it didn't reflex near as much as the mirrors. I think the chrome tape would be a good choice and much easier.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
        George Burns

Comment

Chrome paint will go bad after a while. Would also suggest for tape and possibly other glued on methods going with 19 element LEDs would be better as they put out less heat.

Comment

I bought some new 80' ltd vic tail lamps and I'm trying to figure out how to get them apart without cracking them. I don't see any clips or anything, did you guys cut the sealant with an xacto or something?
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

There was a sticky rubber seal around the rear light housing. I used screw drivers and picks. Also there were spots where they snapped together, kinda like how electronics snapped together. Look for tabs.

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

You might try the "release agent" that glass shops use. softens up the seal.

Comment

Ive heard of people putting auto lamps in the oven on LOW to soften up the lense seal. Be sure to use some clear silicone to put them back together...
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Cool idea with the disco mirrors. I would caution anyone trying it, to try whatever glue you use on a sample mirror piece and let it sit for a week or so before gluing the rest of them. There are a LOT of adhesives out there that will eat through the backing on a mirror after a few days.

Herein lies a story. A buddy of mine, owns a company that installs glass in commercial buildings. He told me about a job he was on once (fortunately for a company he used to work for) were they were putting a BUNCH of mirrors up in some rich lady's house. She was more than a bit hard to get along with, but she knew what she wanted and was willing to pay for it. Since these mirrors were going directly on the wall, they used caulk gun type tubes of adhesive to put them up.
                    Well, the new kid on the job grabbed the wrong glue, and decided to write what he thought of the woman on the wall, with it. Apparently this was his preferred means of applying the glue, prior to putting up a whole room full of expensive, custom cut mirrors. (holes for outlets, faucets, beveled edges, etc.) My buddy got a very nasty phone call several days later when she came in and saw that the glue had eaten through the silver backing on the mirrors, with derogatory terms for and intimate acts which could be performed upon, and by women, were plainly legible through the glass.
                    Needless to say the new guy was immediately unemployed...
                    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; 02-07-2013, 10:08 PM.
                    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                    Open/Lock/Ratio #
                    -----------------------
                    G / H / 2.26
                    B / C / 2.47
                    8 / M / 2.73
                    7 / - / 3.07
                    Y / Z / 3.08
                    4 / D / 3.42
                    F / R / 3.45
                    5 / E / 3.27
                    6 / W / 3.73
                    2 / K / 3.55
                    A / - / 3.63
                    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Painting my refelectors with medium metalflake mixed in accrilc enamel no issues since done in 06 and going.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
                        Cool idea with the disco mirrors. I would caution anyone trying it, to try whatever glue you use on a sample mirror piece and let it sit for a week or so before gluing the rest of them. There are a LOT of adhesives out there that will eat through the backing on a mirror after a few days.

Herein lies a story. A buddy of mine, owns a company that installs glass in commercial buildings. He told me about a job he was on once (fortunately for a company he used to work for) were they were putting a BUNCH of mirrors up in some rich lady's house. She was more than a bit hard to get along with, but she knew what she wanted and was willing to pay for it. Since these mirrors were going directly on the wall, they used caulk gun type tubes of adhesive to put them up.
                        Well, the new kid on the job grabbed the wrong glue, and decided to write what he thought of the woman on the wall, with it. Apparently this was his preferred means of applying the glue, prior to putting up a whole room full of expensive, custom cut mirrors. (holes for outlets, faucets, beveled edges, etc.) My buddy got a very nasty phone call several days later when she came in and saw that the glue had eaten through the silver backing on the mirrors, with derogatory terms for and intimate acts which could be performed upon, and by women, were plainly legible through the glass.
                        Needless to say the new guy was immediately unemployed...
                        I used "E6000." This stuff is like model glue on steroids! None the mirrors have come off yet.

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

Working...
                        X