Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fix the NDS wiring then you can run KOER tests...

Comment

The VSS wiring is all common. There is no input or output, it'll all splice together. if you can access it in the connector under the dash easily from the 88 ECM, just tie it in there instead of opening up the ECM connector.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        The VSS wiring is all common. There is no input or output, it'll all splice together. if you can access it in the connector under the dash easily from the 88 ECM, just tie it in there instead of opening up the ECM connector.
        Just put green to green and black to black and you'll be good. Tie in the blue/purple wire for the tripminder.

Comment

Alright the speed should be easy to wire in then. and the neutral should be fixed when I get the new ignition stuff hooked in.

Started with the throttle valve cable today, I got the lever bolted up pretty good. But had some trouble with the bracket that holds the cable still. I can't get it around the bar that holds the gear selector. I guess I'll need to unbolt it, I just didn't want it to shift gears on me being under the car. I'll get it though
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Set parking brake and chock wheels, wouldn't be first time a GMNer got ran over by his own car while doing this shit...

Comment

Got the bracket and tv lever on today but it still is not driving right.

I am using an 88 lever and it is hitting the gear selector lever in park, and when I go to drive it is very hard to find and it kicks back to neutral. I haven't been under the car to see this, but with the tv lever off I can go to drive no problem, when it's on it is hard to get into drive.

Also when I have the lever tightened down I still can't shift out of first gear.

I'm not sure if this is because since I am trying to find drive and I am actually in first or if the tv lever wont move once I am in drive.

In 85CrownHPP's thread he is using a later lever and it looks different than mine. But even with my older lever I am hitting the selector rod.

Since my car won't shift out of first does this sound like a tv lever issue or something else? It shifted fine before the swap.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Compared to his pic (sorry I stole it)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350412693.222458.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1270150

My tv lever is in front of the selector lever. Sorry I didn't get a pic.

I did take a picture of my lever when it was on the donor car. Thinking it would help me.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350412788.992996.jpg
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	1270151

This is how my car looks only that my selector lever rests on the tv in park and when I'm in drive it is hitting it holding it open or something.

With it held open would that not allow for me to shift from first? I am thinking this is the problem.

Comment

1988 what? non-panthers have different levers. i think you have the lever on upside-down or something. It should be able to pull from 0 to 100% without touching the gear selector, no matter what position the gear selector is in.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

An 88 crown Vic.

In park it can go 0-100 but I think it gets stuck at 100 while in drive. I'll have to get a buddy and check out what's happening when it's in drive because something's snagging up and keeping me from shifting

Comment

Looks like you have the wrong lever... this is a pic Gadget linked me back then and this looks just like the one I harvested. The picture angle is weird but it looks like yours has different bends in it.
                      Attached Files
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Hhmmm... looking again now I want to say you might have the right one... weird angle...

You didn't happen to push or pull a significant amount on the selector shaft when you swapped levers did you? It doesn't take a lot for the mechanism to slip out of alignment inside the transmission. Its not hard to put back once you drop the pan. It would make sense since tightening up the nut for the TV lever also cinches up the selector mechanism, so if something is off it could bind up with that nut tight.
                        Watch the levers down there while someone tries to move the gear selector around, if nothing on the outside looks like its binding I'd bet thats what happened.
                        Last edited by 85crownHPP; 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM.
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I wsa looking for that pic, but couldn't find it.

I seem to remember FatNasty had similar problems, and it was the TV shaft knocked out of position and binding up the shift lever.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                            Hhmmm... looking again now I want to say you might have the right one... weird angle...

You didn't happen to push or pull a significant amount on the selector shaft when you swapped levers did you? It doesn't take a lot for the mechanism to slip out of alignment inside the transmission. Its not hard to put back once you drop the pan. It would make sense since tightening up the nut for the TV lever also cinches up the selector mechanism, so if something is off it could bind up with that nut tight.
                            Watch the levers down there while someone tries to move the gear selector around, if nothing on the outside looks like its binding I'd bet thats what happened.
                            Yeah My TV lever is definitely the same as that one. Hopefully this is easily fixable, just takes time.

A little off topic, but as I was having this problem I was looking through your thread and saw your air intake on your car. I was wondering what brand, or car that came from because I like the way it looks and all the stock SEFI air boxes I find are cracked. Is that the p71 airbox mentioned in your signature?

Comment

Yup! That one is the type that is supposed to have similar air flow to the Marauder air box. You get them from newer police cars, I think starting in 2004 models. You could use an older whale or aero style panther box too if you can't find that one. If you want it to sit nice like it was 'meant to be there' you'll want to swap in an inner fender from a 90-91 vic/gmq. Those cars all got the air-box fender, because only 90-91 California cars got a similar air-box and a MAF setup to meet emissions.
                              sigpic

Comment

Got a chance to watch under the car when it gets put into drive.

In park the TV lever is resting on the Selector lever at about 5% and when it is going into drive the selector hits the TV lever and pulls it to 100%. Making it hard to stay in drive, and keeping it in first gear.

So the levers are definitely getting bunched up. I have put my lever on every which way and it wont work.

I have the same TV lever in the pic from Gadget but my selector is different from the one in that pic. Mine is longer and angled towards the transmission like 85CrownHPP's.

Name:	2012-10-17 18.55.08.jpg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1270159

Here mine is in park. Sorry but its hard to get around the exhaust

Name:	2012-10-17 15.47.34.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1270158

I think I can get it to work if I had the same TV lever as 85CrownHPP does, because then it would be the same setup as his, which has obviously worked. His looks more "C" shaped and has a sharp bend at the cable connector.

So what year and what car did you get that TV lever from? Mine is from an 88 Vic. is yours from a 91 like your harness?

Comment

Working...
                                X