Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Relay

where is the Ignition Relay on a 87 302sefi wagon located

I checked an 89 diagram and do not see an ignition relay but there is an eca relay. The eca relay is in the block of four relays on the left fender. It is innermost relay in the rearmost set.

Don't know if 87 is identical.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

should be. The ecc relay was in that spot from at least 82+. The ignition switch is in the column. The starter relay is on the passenger fender. I don't think there's a separate relay for ignition other than those.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What is prompting you to look for this relay?
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It's not a bad idea to replace these relays anyway, for everyone. I was recently working on a bronco II with a stall/no start but-will-start-later gremlin, and the good old fashioned tap-test showed me that the magneto-doodad in the ECM relay was weak. I could tap it once and it would instantly flutter the engine, and tapping it repeatedly would make it stall. The fuel pump relay had a cracked casing and was rusting inside so we replaced that too.
          Assuming it's the same color scheme as the Bronco, the green one is the fuel pump relay and the ECM will be the other one that should click when you turn on the key.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
            It's not a bad idea to replace these relays anyway, for everyone. I was recently working on a bronco II with a stall/no start but-will-start-later gremlin, and the good old fashioned tap-test showed me that the magneto-doodad in the ECM relay was weak. I could tap it once and it would instantly flutter the engine, and tapping it repeatedly would make it stall. The fuel pump relay had a cracked casing and was rusting inside so we replaced that too.
            Assuming it's the same color scheme as the Bronco, the green one is the fuel pump relay and the ECM will be the other one that should click when you turn on the key.
            I'm part way there already. When I moved the relays out of their holders... the fuel pump one fell apart... so to speak. The clip broke off and the harness disintegrated (broke into about 3 pieces). I had enough of a aero relay box left over from all the shenanigans with the vic between SF '11 and '12 that I made one newer relay work in that position. When it cools off again (October?) I'll get to fixing the rest of the relays in that corner as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

found this diagram http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/8...e/scan0002.jpg still chasing my no start problem

Comment

unless that's in reference to the ECC relay on the fender, I don't know what else it could be. I'll pop my hood later and see what wires come off the ECC relay. That may be the droid you're looking for.

Comment

Working...
                X