Led lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Led lighting

The other day, I bought a pair of 1157a LED bulbs from AutoZone (I'll wait for the laughter to die down). I replaced the L/F park/turn bulb, and was very disappointed with the results. It was like I replaced the bulb with a dim candle. I thought LED's were supposed to be brighter than incadescents (SP). I've since reinstalled the old bulb. Are there any good LED's out there that will actually be brighter than the stock bulbs? BTW, it's for my '89 GM.

MIKE

Last I looked, autozone etc. still only carry the 1st gen LED bulb replacements that use the older crappy 'bullet' shaped LEDs.

You want the kind that have most of the LED's shining outward to try to fill up the lense - try to find the ones with LED's that look like little yellow dots.
    I have the middle-generation ones in my 85 - they are great at night/dusk, but they are hard to see when direct sunlight is on them. They only reason they are still there is because I supplemented them with an OEM LED 3rd brake light from a different car that works great.

The problem is that LEDs need lenses specifically designed to collect and project their light. Some of the newer bulbs are pretty intense and probably work a lot better, but they draw a bit more power and make me nervous because they are all made in China and definitely not DOT approved (or UL listed...) Some newer LED bulbs actually use MORE power than the incandescent bulbs!

Also, make sure you color match the LED to the color you want. 'White' LED behind a red lense definitely does not work.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I got the amber ones, and I was not happy. I've seen some on E-Bay where the LED's go around the bulb instead of just the front. I don't know how those are, and I don't want to keep wasting money on something that's not going to work.

Comment

Working...
      X