Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rapidly clicking solenoid, misfire when clicks. CFI

Like 30 clicks per 10 seconds..

I know im in uncharted territory with the small injector mod. Is this a common CFI problem or is it the ECU trying to figure out why its happy being lean?

If a rapidly clicking solenoid causing a misfire is normal, I'll look elsewhere. If it's abnormal, I'll just disable the solenoid.

It's one of the three on the drivers side...
    Last edited by crazyman; 02-20-2014, 01:52 AM.
    Maintaining Grandma's 84 CFI GM for her

solenoid? Which one? The starter solenoid? There is absolutely nothing that should be making that chatter while the engine is running other than a short in the wiring harness thats sending it power. Pull the wire off the S terminal and see if it quits chattering. if it does, find out why you have power to that wire. The likely places are at the ignition switch itself or maybe in the neutral safety / reverse light switch at the trans. Wiring between is also a possible if there is damage or water in it.

If its one of the smog solenoids, figure out which one. Two are smog pump related, one is EGR. None should be chattering, but if they are internally sticky it might cause problems. I fixed my sticky EGR solenoid by unhooking the vac lines and giving it a snort of WD40.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's a smog solenoid. I haven't looked for a while, but IIRC it's mounted by the drivers valve cover..

Comment

It's fine until it warms up and goes closed loop, so I know it's not voltage "escaping" the ignition system. It only does it at super light throttle or idle.
        Last edited by crazyman; 02-20-2014, 09:30 PM.

Comment

there are 2 or 3 on the valve cover. One I think is high idle, one has something to do with the flapper in the exhaust that forces exhaust through the crossover. I dont know what the other one does, but something makes me think its related to the evap purge valve. Check the vacuum plumbing around all that. Possible its related to a melted vacuum line. That one that goes down to the exhaust manifold is often dead.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The only one of those you need is the one you see plumbed into the CFI units' throttle stepper and choke pull-off (same solenoid). That should be the one closest to the firewall on the valve cover. If its the EVAP purge that is going haywire, it may be creating a large vacuum leak by keeping the purge open.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
            X