No announcement yet.

good alternator to upgrade to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh okay thanks. I am not sure if I want to do an upgrade yet. but if I ever choose to, I will keep this in mind. Thanks for clearing that up for me. But for right now, I'll take my chances with the fire hazzard. Also, I have heard or an aftermarket wire harness for the *problem* wires. Does that lessen the chance of a fire? I don't care anyway. I am going to replace my harness anyway because it scares me. Electrical tape all over it. So I'll put a new one or a better looking one.

Comment

actually, re-routing the ground isnt a bad idea.
      battery to frame, frame the block is how I did mine
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

we have a 93 3.8 thats not selling and we got to get of it but its too good to scrap.......damn I wish more parts are good to use off of that damn thing
        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

any one got any pics of the new wires and where they hook up to? and how new of a taurus do those go?? my sister just fryed her tranny on her taurus wagon(late '90's i think) and she's going to junk it, so i might be able to snach and grab! also what would i need to grab off of there to get the power fans to work on my car? sorry about the hyjack.
          sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

You should be able to find the fan and alternator in the 92-95 set, and 96+ if it has the 3.0L vulcan/pushrod engine. Not sure on the duratec dohc cars.
            -Matt
            1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Originally posted by raser13 View Post
              any one got any pics of the new wires and where they hook up to? and how new of a taurus do those go?? my sister just fryed her tranny on her taurus wagon(late '90's i think) and she's going to junk it, so i might be able to snach and grab! also what would i need to grab off of there to get the power fans to work on my car? sorry about the hyjack.
              Tauruses are notorious for blowing transmissions. Especially the 93 if I am not mistaken. The one in the shop went through 4 transmissions. And it was just a daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
                actually, re-routing the ground isnt a bad idea.
                battery to frame, frame the block is how I did mine
                Mine is battery to block, block to frame.

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
                  is the 3g compatible with the alternator plugs on some panthers. i noticed the alternator on the waggin i sold Zack had a different type of alternator. it had a nut that held a wire on, whereas mine are the simple plugs. just asking, since i am in need of upgrading my alternator.
                  Its an InstaClear window car. Those came with a 100 amp externally regulated alt. The 3g can be installed in place of that, but I dont think the windshield works anymore, and the wiring changes are a bit different. The 2g has the same voltage regulator the 3g has. The 100 amp has that box on the fender.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

just asking if it would wire up. with those wires running off the alternator, how do you run a heavier gauge wire? those lines are like 16 or 18 gauge. i just need more power, and wanna make sure i get the right stuff and get it wired right. thanx Gadget
                    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by raser13 View Post
                      Power fans? you mean there is more to the story?

Comment

electric fans is what i ment to say. what do i need to make them work?
                        sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
                          That 3G alternator can also be found in both 3.0 and 3.8 Turuses, but they both come in small and large frame setup depending on year of production. Look for a small-frame 3G alternator, it's recognizable by having a very short ear for the top bolt (as opposed to the large-frame alternator that has the hole for that bolt about an inch further away from the case).
                          A large case 3G 130 amp will fit a box, so will a small case 3G 95amp. You just have to get the correct mounting style and it will bolt right up.

Comment

For the 3g that I pulled from the 93 ford tourus3.8 I need the police 100 amp bracket. if I cant find one I will put an ad out in the wanted section.

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter View Post
                              For the 3g that I pulled from the 93 ford tourus3.8 I need the police 100 amp bracket. if I cant find one I will put an ad out in the wanted section.
                              http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/3ag/3ag.htm

This link does not have any info about the large carge 3G 130amp 7" mounting hole cL to cL. "the large frame unit can be used in place of the small 2G if the appropriate bracket is used." and if you get the correct large frame unit you don't need a bracket, the stock one works.
                              Last edited by 89mercury; 05-19-2007, 11:40 PM.

Comment

A more complete list.

Large case 3G 130amp 7” mounting hole ctr to ctr (direct fit for 2G 65 amp)

1994 Mustang 3.8 or 5.0 ; Thunderbird 3.8 ; Cougar 3.8
                                1995 Mustang 3.8 or 5.0 ; Thunderbird 3.8 ; Cougar 3.8
                                1996 Mustang 3.8 only ; Thunderbird 3.8 ; Cougar 3.8
                                1997 Mustang 3.8 only ; Thunderbird 3.8 ; Cougar 3.8
                                1998 Mustang 3.8 only
                                1999 Mustang 3.8 only
                                2000 Mustang 3.8 only

Last edited by 89mercury; 05-20-2007, 01:52 PM. Reason: added pic

Comment

Working...
                                X