Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speakers crackle when drivers side door is opened.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the switch is bad and arcing internally, it would only do that when its in the "on" position, aka with the plunger out like the door is open. Removing the switch would of course prevent the switch from ever turning on. If there was a fault with the lights, you would be able to duplicate it with either the passenger door or the light switch in the dash since both of those power the same circuit.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Swap the left and right side door switches and see if the problem follows the switch.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Will go through with all recommendations when I feel up to it.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

replace the speakers, solved

Comment

not if the source of the issue is an arcing switch. then the new speakers will just do the same thing.

[technical babel]
            Essentially it's ground noise generated by the switch (if that is the issue) that affects the speakers due to the zener protection diodes in the amp. The amp will ground out the noise, but since the noise is going to the speakers first, it gets produced into sound before the amp can sink the current.
            [/technical babel]
            Last edited by sly; 05-27-2013, 09:26 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The crackle might be from dirty switch contacts. If you give the power to the lights a better path to fallow, the noise should go away. Try turning on the lights at the head switch also while the noise is happening.
              sigpic
              89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
              "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

I haven't tried that yet. Door open and head lamp switch turned will be tested.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Door open and headlight knob turned=crackles just the same.

p.side door switch in d.side made no difference either.

I gotta look up the schematic and see how in the world only the drivers side switch activated causes this problem.
                  ~David~

Comment

I think I might have it. The only thing the driver's door switch connects to that the passenger's doesn't is the key in switch warning chime. That darn chime must be causing the crackle. I'm interested to hear the final results.
                    sigpic
                    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

I am tempted to start snipping wires behind the door jamb switch........this may lead me to which direction the problem is in.

But yeah, looking at the schematics I believe you are correct. I know at one point in time my courtesy lights did not work at all. Fuse was good so I was at a loss. I just rewired the entire damn thing. extremely possible I have some loose ends hovering tight against speaker cables or even the rcas. I know I went over the entire car and just ziptied the hell out of everything to neaten up all of the aftermarket wiring I added..........

Though to make this even more interesting....I believe (will have to check againt o confirm) that the crackle also rears its head when the door is closed BUT when I adjust the mirrors!!!........SHIT JUST GOT WEIRD???
                      ~David~

Comment

loose ground seems most probable and the remainder of the current is grounding out through something with a transducer (radio speakers or that door chime).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I am just fortunate this happens only with the door open. Handy having that amp pull switch to quickly shut everything up when I open the door.

Window channel weatherstripping was ordered. When that comes in and I pull off the door panel to install it I will look into all of this further.
                          ~David~

Comment

Working...
                          X