Mobile A/V Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile A/V Systems

Ok just how does one get a really LOUD stereo in the 4 wheeler?

Well for one you have to decide on the main use for it. Is the car likely to enter any shows or Competitions in the future? If so then higher power and higher end components are usually used, mainly for p-factor (pucker, prestige, ect) but believe me, lower end components sound just a good at a 1/2 or less cost. Also a custom original installation is a major component of these systems. That means lots of time and $$$$

Will it ever see drags at the track? If it will the weight of all this crap is a primary concern. You don't want 4-60lb 15" subs in the trunk when you're trying to get under 10 sec in the 1/4. Smaller subs in sealed boxes usually outperform biggies in the bandpass.

Will it only see the street and the occasional ricer kill? If this is your nitch then what ever sounds good is what you want. Sometimes a Sparkomatic or Road Gear Wal-Mart special will work just fine. Of course ya get what ya pay for.

Ok so what would be a good starting point to replace the existing system in my (insert vehicle here)?

Start with the noisemaker. No not the mill under the hood.
    The better stereos (IMHO)
    Pioneer (Solid Reliable Last 5+ years easy)
    Sony (Reliable Clean 2-3 years)
    Clarion (Clean Powerful 3-4 years)
    Kenwood (Overrated Clean Reliable 1-3 years)

Uhh ok if you get a killer deal
    Balupunkt (Tuner Issues 2 years at most)
    JVC (It's JVC)
    Panasonic (Poor-Man's Pioneer)

RUN AWAY!!!!
    Alpine (Too many issues to list unless u buy the $500 and up stuff)
    Sanyo (WHY???? Samsung could do it better!)

AIWA is just getting into the market big. I have not had much experience with them. Reviews are generally good. Same for Eclipse stuff, just really expensive.

Lets say you just want to replace the old set up. New stereo, and speakers. No sub or amps in this set up. Yet...

Clarion DB345MP CD-RW/MP3 Receiver 129.95 Crutch 79.00EBay
    Pioneer TS-G1040R 4" Dash Speakers 49.95 Crutch starting at 0.01 on Ebay
    Pioneer TS-G1640R 6 1/2" Door Speakers 49.95 Crutch starting at 0.01 on Ebay
    Pioneer TS-A6960R 6"x9" Rear Deck 79.95 Crutch starting at 0.01 on Ebay

Get your speaker wire (12-ga!) from Radio Shack, a 30'-50' roll will be more than enough.

Now wait a minute you say! That's six speakers and the radio only has 4 outputs! Never fear! Parallel or series? What is your pleasure?
    have no idea I am yapping about? Look at this:

Got it? Good!

Now this wiring setup should not be used permanently. This will suffice for a few months until you can get some amps. Keep in mind that the front outputs on the radio has a higher stress (due to the Ohm load) on it and it will eventually burn out, usually within 9-18 months.

One thing I really like to do, for the sound clarity, is use the same manufacturer and series speakers through out the vehicle cabin. The Subs don't have to be the same since bass is omidirectional low frequency signals. The mids and highs really need to be matched for clarity.

Now lets choose the amps for this system. We saved our pennies and want more power. You don't have to replace the speakers, they will last for at least 4 years, assuming you don't force a 1,000 gigawatt sub signal to them!

4" 20 RMS
    6 1/2" 30 RMS
    6"x9" 40 RMS

NEVER MATCH AMPS TO PEAK POWER RATING OF SPEAKER!!!!! You will BLOW IT! RMS (Root Mean Squared ) is the maximum constant power the speaker is capable of. The peak is what it can handle for a short peak or transient in the music, like a REALLY BAD ASS SANTANA OR HAMMET SOLO!!!!

Dash/Door Amp Clarion APA450 119.95 Crutch 69.99 Ebay (50RMSx4)
    Rear Deck Amp Clarion APA250 79.95 Crutch 39.99 Ebay (50RMSx2)

NOTE: Be sure to turn the amp output down to match the speakers RMS!

Radio shack for the power/ground cable, 8-ga red/black will work great for this setup. Ebay for the fuses and distribution hardware. This system will require 1 45-amp fuse. (watts per channel (50) x number of channels (6) x 2 (600) / 13.5 always round up!)

Mount the amps to a sheet of MDF and hook the shite up and enjoy the soothing sound of hard work.

Now ya want da BOOM! Well again you have to decide what type of BOOM you like. Do you want to feel the double kick from "One" (Metallica, 1989) in your chest? Or do ya want Snoop Dogg's LOW Bass breaking windows and setting off car alarms for 1,500 yards in any direction. Or is George Strait or Gretchen Wilson your music of choice?

Bass is a personal thing, like your preffered brand of prophylactic.

Metal, Country, Rock, and Classic Rock love small to medium sealed boxes with 8's or 10's. The sealed boxes produce really tight (virginesque) and exact bass. Larger sealed and any ported box loose some of that tighness, and is comparable to an experienced female around 25 years old who is a college grad. Bandpass is the loosest (crack whore on the corner, it's not supposed to be the size of a nickle outside and GRAND FUCKING CANYON AFTER THAT! Is it? ) and least accurate bass. But man can it throw that shite. This is what is usually responsible for smashed windows and involuntary deification :poop2: during competitions. (IMHO Bandpass and Ported boxes are not worth the time or trouble)

Level of construction difficulty
    Sealed 3 of 10
    Ported 7 of 10
    Bandpass 9 of 10

There is another type called isobaric. This is where the subs are in a tube setup and are either facing cone to cone or mag to mag to each other. This type of configuration is only for looks (only seen this setup in EXPENSIVE Lexan or Plexiglas boxes.) You also have to send the same signal, one of them at 180 polarity to make the thing work. Difficulty 15 of 10

Lets just concentrate on the basics. You can buy good ready made boxes for subs at just about any stereo or box store. Or just build your own! Subs to use? Hell it really doesn't matter, as long at they have rubber surrounds, and plastic cones. Metal cones if you have the extra cash.

So let's go with 2 Sony XS-L1200B 12" subs in a sealed box. You can usually pick a pair of these up for 50 bucks or less on Ebay. They will need a 200x2 amp. The Sony XM-2200GTX will work perfect here. It is on Ebay for 97 bucks. You know who wants $180 for it!! :hairraise: I highly recommend this type of amp over a mono for audiophiles! I am not even going to list Crutchfield here as the boxes they sell are WAY WAY WAY overpriced! (shit a 49"x97"x3/4" sheet of MDF is under 20 bucks! This WAY more than enough for a 24"x24"x24" box! When you build the box, be sure to put a separator in the middle. This allows for stereo bass separation and more PUNCH as well as not getting ANR reduction to you sounds!!

NOTE 2: SCREW and GLUE that box together. It also wouldn't hurt to silicone seal the interior at the joints. This small amount of work will ensure the box is sealed, and produce stronger bass. LET THAT FUCKER CURE FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR!!!! (overnight preferably)

System
    Clarion DB345MP
    Pioneer TS-G1040R
    Pioneer TS-G1640R
    Pioneer TS-A6960R
    2 Sony XS-L1200B 12" subs
    Clarion APA450
    Clarion APA250
    Sony XM-2200GTX
    Misc installation stuff

Approx $400 in parts and 4 hours in your labors and you have one kick ass system that will keep you in sonic bliss for many years to come.

Not bad! :woot:

More
    Sub Stuff
    Even More
    Pt III
    Linked to the rest for time savings.
    Enjoy!
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Sorry dude I was hitting the Hooka. What was the question again? :bong:
    0%
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Great post! :rock:
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Thanks!

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

i got all my stuff off Ebay and I can hurt people with my 400 watts total RMS system (not from bass)
        midgrade components and decent old school Alpine amps made me a systsem that plays crystal clear up to loud enough to drown out all highway wind noise and then some.

I laugh at all these people dropping thousands on a stereo lol
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

hmmm

maybe I'll let y'all ride in my car when I get the stereo all installed... but not in the back seat :-p

SuperFord Profile
          Support safe sigs

-sigs should not exceed 600 pixels wide
          -sigs should not consist of more that 25 lines (including pics) when viewed at 800x600
          -Multiple images exceeding 600 pixels wide should have a space between them to allow for wrapping
          -Total sig size should not exceed 60k
          Remember, only you can prevent sig abuse....

Comment

Thanks gang. There is more avalible now. On the $1000+ systems the price is usually directly proportional to the vehicle and drivers dress and appaerance. IN one system the final tally was 8500 bucks and only about 2500 in actual parts! Cha-CHING!!!!

Mabye I need to open a new shop....
            :hm:
            Course I would HAVE to give a grandmarq.net discount!
            :party:

Comment

hey!
              tell me something... whats wrong with the Alpine head units??? I have my eye on the blue backlit one that place MP3's and all that.

and...

Approx $400 in parts and 4 hours in your labors and you have one kick ass system that will keep you in sonic bliss for many years to come.
              could you go through the math on that???
              everything i have cost me 600-700 bucks, and that was after months of hounding Ebay getting deals on new and used stuff.
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Alpine=$$$$$

You are paying for a name. Look for the following:

RMS power greater than 20 per channel
                Min 4 Volt Pre amp Power to the RCA outputs
                CD-RW compatability and MP3 and WMA playback ability.
                Most receivers will list this info in the sales shit.

These guidelines will give you the ability to play 99.9% of everything out there. The brand name really makes no difference, unless you are getting into USAC competition.

Preffered 3
                Sony
                Clarion
                Kenwood

Pioneer is notriuos for only giving 2 volts to the outputs. this is OK for non comp systems as Tom can attest to after a ride in the Ranger. But for systems that will rock the entire apartment complex and get you a major ticket, 4 volt + is the way to go.

Keep in mind that I am an Audiophile, and that means I am always seaching for the most CORRECT sounding system, not the loudest.

Cheers!

Comment

cool. what about the $400 complete system price tag though???
                  sigpic

Comment

All the stuff is off of Ebay. Shipping NOT included! Any other info needed?

Comment

I got my panasonic with allthose features and free 6.5's from crutchfield for 200 bux. Im very pleased with my sound quality. I have a 760 watt pioneer amp power 2 10" Kenwood Typhoons subs. Im using my free 6.5's up front and kawasaki 2 way 6x9's in the back. Sounds better than almost everyone else's in town and i did it for about 600 bux at the most.
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS
                      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I am getting ready to put a new system together for my new aquisition in January. This bitch is gonna ROCK the joint!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                          i got all my stuff off Ebay and I can hurt people with my 400 watts total RMS system (not from bass)
                          midgrade components and decent old school Alpine amps made me a systsem that plays crystal clear up to loud enough to drown out all highway wind noise and then some.

I laugh at all these people dropping thousands on a stereo lol
                          I'm all there with you man! People have got to learn to start shopping around, and start shopping by numbers not names. I'm getting really tired of hearing how brand 'X' sucks balls, and brand 'A' kicks ass. I'm sorry but every company out there makes sucky crap. If you shop based on the numerical outputs then you can really know what you are getting. And shopping around has gor me a system with 300watt RMS amp, JVC (and yes it is very good quality sound) head unit, JVC 4" speakers and Cadence 6x9s, and I can drown out my exhaust, and can almost do it when it is open too. Enough to cause short term defness. And how much did it cost for this system??? Hows $400 total sound? And everything was bought brand new.

Comment

I paid about 400 for my system all together, headunit, wires, and all.

Its all pioneer, and kicks ass!

I just need an amp for my 6X9s...
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You can't shop *just* by numbers. 1000 watt is not the same across the board. Junk amps will show you peak numbers, good amps show RMS. RMS is "average" or real power. Its also about 1/3 the peak value (peak is actually like 2.8x RMS). Have to be careful what you're looking at. Also, there is the matter of distortion, signal to noise ratio, and other things you can't put into a spec sheet like build quality. Sure, it might have great specs, but is it a piece of shit thats going to die in a month because the solder connections are shoddy? Its a general rule that if the specs are good, the build quality is at least OK. Reviews are a good thing. If its a brand I'm not familier with, I like to see what other people have to say about it.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X