I found floor board rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found floor board rust

Well today after coming home from school i sawl leaking water. at first I thought it might have been leaking coolent from the heater core but no. I look
    all around trying to figure out where the water was coming from I figured out it was the plug on the passenger side floor pan so I pulled up some of the carpet to find water it was the rain water:cuss: . So I took out the seats and carpet. first off the carpet is trash the hole thing is wet underneith. so all this time the plug is bad and the rain water was collecting under the carpet. so no the floor board is starting to rust thankfully it's not rotted through. so looks like I found another weekend project to do on my car.. I have some question first why are there plugs on the floor pan? second Are the sedan carpets all the same from 79-91? I'll keep you guys posted on my progress lookd like I'm going to crazy rays ps here are the pics I took

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Not too bad. Clean up the rust, prime and paint it. I'd see if it's coming from somewhere else though. Have someone spray the car down with the interior out and see if any water shows up.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Shit that's clean....look at what I have to fix...

'79-'91 2dr and 4dr carpet is the same.
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Mine leaks water inside (just a little bit) from the vent near the windsheild under the hood. Whats that for anyway?
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

what's the point of the plugs for anyway?

Comment

Just drain plugs for incase of a flood, there are two or three underneath the carpet in the trunk also. Floorboards don't look too bad in your car though, looks normal for the age of the car. I should check mine eventually, the passenger side window leaks onto the floor and the heatercore probably does also. You should also undercoat your car also using a few cans of undercoating spray, probably the only thing protecting my car from rust now.
            Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
            2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
            Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
            Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

thanks for the idea I have a couple of bottle's lying in the garage I just remember that last year I had a hudge puddle from water going down my guadge since I put it the passenger side so that water was sitting for a year plus the plug is bad so all the rain water just went through there anyway

Comment

I got a little hole too mang right under my left foot
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

POR 15. Mine was like that and I redid the floorpan with it over the summer. Its held up since even though my car still leaks here and there. For the little holes I used JB weld and then put more Por 15 over it. You can also use a good seam sealer like Fusor.

1986 Grand Marquis LS coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
                  Last edited by 86GmLsCoupe; 11-14-2006, 11:02 PM.
                  sigpic
                  1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                  Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Sand most of it off and OSPHO it. Put a couple coat on. It seals and converts it and all the guys I know who restore rusty old cars use it. I put it on my capri on the roof and havent had any problems.
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS
                    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Looks like surface rust, no big deal.

Floor pans changed in 1990 I think, not sure how that may have affected the carpet but I'd probably look for 89 and older carpet just to be safe. Also, just getting it wet doesn't mean its bad. I saturated mine with a pressure washer to clean it, and it looks fine. Unless its just worn out anyway, more than likely you can just clean it and it'll look OK again. I did mine by soaking it with carpet cleaner, scrubbing it in with a push broom, then hanging it on the fence and using a small electric pressure washer to blast the dirt out.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gee, I wish my floor looked half as nice as yours, Gabe.

But seriously, fix it or we'll both be wishing our floors looked as good as Jeremy's. (I already do.)

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                          Looks like surface rust, no big deal.

Floor pans changed in 1990 I think, not sure how that may have affected the carpet but I'd probably look for 89 and older carpet just to be safe. Also, just getting it wet doesn't mean its bad. I saturated mine with a pressure washer to clean it, and it looks fine. Unless its just worn out anyway, more than likely you can just clean it and it'll look OK again. I did mine by soaking it with carpet cleaner, scrubbing it in with a push broom, then hanging it on the fence and using a small electric pressure washer to blast the dirt out.

The carpet was stating to grow mold on it so it's going to the trash

Comment

Mine had massive stains from spilled chewing tobacco and it had a stench from it. Probably your mold cant be worse lol. Good carpet isn't that hard to find though really as long as you don't mind a junkyard trip. This time of year is getting pretty iffy for yard runs though.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Man that's nothing my whole Driver side floor was rotted out and the passenger side was on its way. the rears weren't too bad but getin there. If you ever saw the guy on CVN (blackandflames?) his black car with the 351 5-speed. his floors looked like mine. I redid the floors then coated in this product called KBS Coating, clames to be better then Por15. Bought a sampler pack off ebay for $25. Great stuff work awsome, used it on the inner bottoms of my doors too.
                              Resident diesel addict

Comment

Working...
                              X