tree sap and paint damage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tree sap and paint damage...

every spring, the trees around here are dropping sap everywhere. Baby is feeling it bad along with the rest of the cars. the paint on the hood in one spot has been burned i guess you can say. it isnt a big spot, but it is noticeable to me. just thought i would say that if you have trees in your yard, keep your car clean. if you dont, the sap will eat the paint.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Have a good scheduled weekly wash in the summer, and if you see bird poop/sap/contaminates get the house out and was that spot off. Mostly I find that bird poop will just rinse off. Even when dry. You may have to get a towel or your hand and kind of brush at it while rinsing. I know it sounds gross to use your hand for bird poop, but you can wash your hands.

Comment

My paint is crap anyway so more crap wrong with it gives me a reason to paint it. I've had bird poop down the sides of the front doors thanks to a mocking bird for about three months now... I never see the car so it doesn't bother me. I call it self-etching primer.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

damn!!!!!!! i need to wash the 85 then!!!! there is lots of tree spooge around here
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

wonder what inside the tree sap makes it so bad to paint?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Rubbing alcohol works very well for removing tree sap but it can oxidize your paint if you use too much. Try the alcohol and then follow up immediatley with some high carnuba content paste wax. It works on single stage or base/clear so theres no worries. No kidding about that bird poop! The acid content from what those little bastards eat can strip the paint right off your car!

Comment

Clay baring will remove it and a car cover keeps most of it off. Wash often dont use soap unless you have to. No dish soap.
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Claybar works well, as does a quick shot of 3m adhesive and wax remover - dissolves it instantly

Wax area immediately following.
                -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                Modifications
                Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Originally posted by drock96marquis View Post
                  Claybar works well, as does a quick shot of 3m adhesive and wax remover - dissolves it instantly

Wax area immediately following.
                  What, spray 3m adhesive on paint and wax remover? Wtf? How do you do it? I got crapload of 3M adhesive at home and I can't get rid of these damn leaf spots.

Comment

Working...
                  X