A Tip for Tail Lights!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Tip for Tail Lights!

I installed my new Pass. tail light finally...got it from 88grandmarq MANY months ago...I can't remember how long ago...
    but I noticed it wasn't as clean as my other one...a little dull...just a tiny bit.
    So, I used some Meguiars Paint Cleaner on them since I had some left...and WOW!
    made a HUGE difference!
    I used it on both tail lights and they reflect like no other. :banana:
    take a gander... these pics were taken near Sundown...

I recommend this to everyone...you WILL see a difference!
    makes them look Ruby Red
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

looks good, might try some myself (meguires)
    1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
    FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

paint cleaner???
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

yep...paint cleaner.
        it works well for headlamp oxidation...so, why not use it on the tail lights?
        and that way you have plenty left to use on the rest of the car...instead of buying the stuff just for tail lamp cleaning. :banana:
        oh, I love nice weather! I get out there and do some detailin'!
        sigpic
        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Do you mean the Meguair's Deep Crystal step 1 paint cleaner?

That will work alright, but the abrasives are so low it won't do much agressive cleaning. Meguiar's PlastiX works excellent, I use it on all of cars to keep their factory lamps/lenses nice and clear:
          -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
          My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
          Modifications
          Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

yea, the step 1 stuff...I ahven't tried the PlastiX...Bobert told me about that....
            that's like the only plastic on my car..so I prolly wouldn't buy some of that.
            sigpic
            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

PlastiX does work pretty well. I think my lenses are just too far gone. It did clean them up some tho.
              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Depending on how bad the stuff is, rubbing compund, a buffing wheel and some rouge, and some plastic-x
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I have both Pastix and 3m Swirl Mark Remover that I've used on the tail lights. I actually prefer the swirl mark remover as it seems to give them much more shine and gloss. The Plastix I think I bought for the Instrument cluster but decided against using it after it made a test peice sorda cloudy/hazy. I wax the tail lights with 3m Perfect-It Paste Wax after I'm done. The water beads nicely off them.
                  sigpic
                  1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                  Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

.......but decided against using it after it made a test peice sorda cloudy/hazy
                    You did not work the product enough.

PlastiX uses diminishing abrasives, which break down as you work the product in. This allows the polish to be more agressive at first, then as the abrasives break down remove the marring from the larger abrasives and leaving a clean, clear shine.

If you do not work it in enough and wipe it off before you have broken down the abrasives, you'll be left with a slightly dull finish due to micro-marring of the plastic.

Give the PlastiX another try - but this time REALLY work it in well, I'm sure you'll like it much more.

For lamps that are really gone, I recommend to sand out imperfections (start ~400 and work up to ~1000+) then buff with a compound ( I use Mirror Glaze color restore (#44? iirc) for gelcoats for this step) then follow this with a finer cut plastic polish (ie PlastiX)
                    Last edited by drock96marquis; 06-01-2007, 01:26 AM.
                    Modifications

Comment

Yeah, I've used plastic-x on my clusters in all of my cars. Not one issue ever.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I'll have to give it a try sometime...
                        sigpic
                        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Gotcha, I think I just got nervous when I saw it getting hazy on the test piece. I'll give it another go. My friends Mark VII lamps are dull yellow boxes so I might try your other advice out to. Anyone used that smaller mother's ball for stuff like this?
                          Last edited by 86GmLsCoupe; 06-01-2007, 11:06 PM.
                          sigpic
                          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Yes, it will work fine with a powerball.

Make sure to use a decent drill (14.4v +) otherwise you'll burn through batts liek crazy.
                            Modifications

Comment

Working...
                            X