led tails question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

led tails question

in looking through this entire section, i've gathered that this pete fella is very into leds.

i am wondering, what would it take to make an led tail/brake panel?

either a panel, solid leds, or even just a few rows. whats involved?

i kind of have an idea for what i want to do. i was originally thinking have several rows of leds, like not the brightest, but a very happy medium, for the regular running lights, and more rows for the brake/signal portion, being brighter.
    the rows would alternate, to better fill in when the brakes are illuminated.

how much would it cost to make something like this?

btw, i really dig these pics i've seen on here with all the leds inside. i was actually thinking about doing that anyway once i got the car lol. go for the neon interior look without the neons inside lol.

my complete lighting plans are:
    hid headlights,
    and leds for the:
    running/signals (blue),
    b-pillar lights (blue),
    tails/brakes (red, duh),
    dash (blue),
    doors (blue),
    dome lights (blue).

Yeah, I want to do this. You got a merk, or a vic?
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i'll be getting the mgm

Comment

I was going to see if petemang could mod the set of 88-up taillights I got, polish them up, and line them with strips of ultra-bright white LEDS. maybe 1/4 of the strips light up for running lights, and the brake lights ALL light up.

Of course, sequential tails would be cool too, but my idea for sequentials is more than just three, it's like a flowing movement of the leds. Cool, huh?

Oh, and the tails would have a heavy application of night shades tint on them.

Comment

you would want red LEDs for taillights - white LED have a blue hue that gets filtered out by the red lense, making them look dimmer.

You can get one foot long strips of LEDs on eBay for under 10 bux each, I bet 10 of those in staggered layers inside the lense would look awesome.
          All you'd need to do to make them shine right is wire them with a resistor for running lamps, and with no resistor to make them brighter for stop/turn
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thats why you are teh LED mang

Comment

i dbe keen to do this mod aswell to my soon to arrive 85 CV.....

Comment

I'm thinking about ordering one of these kits, putting the outside sections inside my tail lights, and using the center section as a third brake light. I really like the progressive turn signals.

They're a little pricey, but the tail light sequencer I was able to find was like $140, and these are a lot cooler. Think one section in each tail light would be bright enough/not look stupid, or would you have to have two?

Comment

You might need to find a way to distribute the light in the tails but something like that would fit great in a mercury light.
                  -Matt
                  1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Working...
                  X