79 Tailight Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 Tailight Restoration

About 2 weeks ago I found a pair of '79 tailights at the swap-meet during Blue-Suede Cruise up at Norwalk Dragway. They needed some TLC, but I paid 10 BUCKS for them! Here is the pic of what they started out as:

I hit them with a paper towel and some of the headlight repair gunk, and it took all of the scuffs right out! Today I asked my dad (I don't have a steady enough hand) to Paint in the border and the LTD. It came out PERFECTLY! Once I get batteries in my camera, I'll post up some pics. The next step is to clean up the chrome around the lens, and they will be ready to put on!
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

heres the finished product:
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Nice job man! I've been thinking of re-doing the stock silver paint on mine. What brand/type of paint did you use?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

actually it was testors silver model car paint, we just brushed it on lol

Comment

Nice. That's what I was thinking, but testors is expensive, so I needed someone to, uhh, test it out for me.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

well the test came out positive! The bottle we got cost $1.19 at hobby lobby

Comment

hmm interesting...model paint. i wonder how well that will hold up in weather. keep us posted!
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

yeah im curious to see how well it will hold up, if it doesnt work, ill just mask everything off and try eastwoods almost chrome spray can stuff, but the masking would take for ever, i think it might be worth it if this doesnt work

Comment

nice job
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

if you want to see these on the car, click the link in my sig

Comment

I did my lenses with a plastic primer then silver spray paint and they came out like yours... how are they holding up?? I'd love to find NOS ones tho..not sure if thats worth it XD
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Very nice! I just used a gray paint pen on mine, after a light scuff with fine grit.

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                          I did my lenses with a plastic primer then silver spray paint and they came out like yours... how are they holding up?? I'd love to find NOS ones tho..not sure if thats worth it XD
                          Mine are still kicking like the day we did them, they survived last winter, and there about to start their second (and last ). I'd love to find a pair of NOS ones as well. It's either that or I'm going to have to pull them apart and have the chrome redone.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

I need to do mine too. I was thinking of using a Testors paint pen if I can find one in silver. Towncar taillights and the big reflector panel across the back have a raised portion that originally has some sort of shiny finish. It doesn't hold up though, so mine are mostly barren.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X