X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oops! I broke it-- driver door handle??

Hi!

Redid three window motors last week.
    Made my own vapor barrier out of plastic tarp, and reassembled the door... when I realized belatedly that I'd forgotten to pull out the cord for the power mirrors. Oops! Backtracked most of the way, pulling off the armrest and prying off the cardboard panel, peeled back a bit of the homemade vapor barrier, pulled out the buried electrical cord, and put it all back together.

After I was all done... the door no longer opens from the outside. It doesn't matter if I lock it or unlock it, or if I use the key in the door. So I don't think it's merely still locked... what did I DO?!?

Now, I have to crawl over from the passenger side to open the driver door and push it open, to then get in and drive the car...

I can of course open the door again; I'm not sure what I'm looking for? Like I said, I did three of my four doors and never did this happen before, until I redid the driver door just for the power mirrors!

The rod may have slipped out, or something on either end broke. Time to pull the panel off again and have a lookey
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The plastic clips that hold the rod into position do sometimes break or come out. The problem should be obvious once you can see the mechanism. Its just a rod from the handle down to the latch.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thanks, I'll open the door up again tomorrow

Comment

Working...
        X