$5000 Paint Job????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$5000 Paint Job????

Ok so I go to get a quote from a shop in the industrial area across the alley from my house. Long story short to paint my car the same color he wants at least 5000. Is this even close to normal? Now my car is not perfect, but the body is pretty damn good, no rust through or rust on any visible panels at all. I just was thinking in the 2000-2500 range.

George
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

My pops paid that much for his mustang which is arguable much smaller than panthers. What some people do not understand is that there is a lot of labor and time going into a complete repaint, especially on a car this large. Also, products are very expensive. I too will be shelling out major bucks ASAP for my car. Car hobby is a pricey one.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean, I do work in the chroming industry and lots of people experience sticker shock as well. I was just imagining a lower number is all, shows how much I know haha.

George

Comment

seems normal my paint cost a tad more because it's red and it has gold in it. same with your paint since it has gold in it too.

Paint that has gold in it cost more money than regular colors like black.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

cost about that much when i painted my ex girlfriends (jelybean) car named Aunt Flo.. there is a lot of work and stuff that needs fixed you cant see without block sanding and stuff... you should see al the stuff that was done and it also had the marble paint strip down each side in red
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

For all the body work and paint with 5 layers of clear was 1400 for me. It turned out pretty damn good.
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              My pops paid that much for his mustang which is arguable much smaller than panthers. What some people do not understand is that there is a lot of labor and time going into a complete repaint, especially on a car this large. Also, products are very expensive. I too will be shelling out major bucks ASAP for my car. Car hobby is a pricey one.
              THIS.

but when you spend that money, you get a real nice finnished product.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

JUST a paint job or body work as well? for a straight out paint job that seems fairly high...but if theres body work involved then 5000 seems legit.
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
                  For all the body work and paint with 5 layers of clear was 1400 for me. It turned out pretty damn good.
                  Was this when you were in Indiana? I think your car had Indiana plates, I could be way off.

Comment

If you need metal replaced, its gonna cost you... some just shops wont do a paint job that isn't going to last at least 5 years.
                    Maaco will gladly sand & spray what you got for $500 though.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Indiana plates yes lives Florida. There is a local shop here that did it. My advise is talk to your local car clubs see who they recommend. A shop will tell you they are the best in the world and everyone else does it wrong. Go see for your self who got a good deal where and who got burnt.
                      1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                      2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                      sigpic

Comment

it depends on the shop....the place I want to have mine done will be close to that price, and that's possibly without body work (haven't checked yet). But they do quality paint jobs....the recently built and painted a car that was in this year's elite 8 at the autorama, they just happen to be 15 mins from my house.

EDIT: But then again remember, yours is two tone.
                        Last edited by hemihotrod402; 09-15-2010, 10:11 PM.
                        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

If they do it right, Paint all the jambs and take it all apart like they should. anywhere from 3-5k isn't unreasonable for a decent paint job. Generally the cost of a paint job is on kilter with how good it will look and how durable it will be.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                          Big plans

Comment

it really does depend on what they're doing. Maybe talk to the guy to get a full picture of what that 5k gets you. If it involves him de-trimming the car completely and putting it back together, its likely going to be a good job. You can probably save yourself a decent chunk by taking care of that part yourself. I'd also ask him what he's using for paint. There are different grades of paint and the price goes up accordingly.

As for the hidden problems, definitely. Nick found a number of problems on my "perfect" panels that weren't obvious until he started block sanding. We're not even going to get into the hidden surprises when the rot areas were cut into.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As the others have said, it pays to shop around for quotes!
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X