Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
    Sorry Bud.

You are welcome to come down and visit anytime though. I could take you around to all the good yards.
    Now I feel better.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Brandon my car needs a new drivers side hood hinge (loose as anything, hood shakes all about) so i am considering the Box Town Car hinges that you installed. You said you had to drill one hole so it would work, so where did you drill the whole?

-David
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Brandon my car needs a new drivers side hood hinge (loose as anything, hood shakes all about) so i am considering the Box Town Car hinges that you installed. You said you had to drill one hole so it would work, so where did you drill the whole?

-David

Approximately 3.05in from the top of the hinge.

I held my original hinges up to the Towncar hinges, and marked where the holes where supposed to go. I then drilled the holes, and Dremel'd them out slightly to allow for some adjustment in the hood, to get the gaps perfect.

It's a really easy mod. I even had a short writeup for it sorted out awhile back, I never posted it because I didn't think anyone here would care about such a small detail. I was the first person ever to do this particular mod though, at least that I've seen. I've found that the longer towncar hinge bracket that bolts to the hood's inner structure, and the lower resistance of the hood shocks, actually doesn't bend the hood's outer skin at the hinge's mounting points at all upon closing, like the original spring setup did. Dunno why they didn't just install these on all the Box Panthers before leaving the factory, sure is a far superior setup.

I have a really nice and rust-free set of TC Hinges that I'm about to install on my Merc soon, I will take some more detailed pics of the install.

Comment

Thanks. And a write up would be appreciated.
          ~David~

Comment

The Project is Over.

Well folks, it's been fun, but it looks like this project is coming to an end.

I have finally decided that I need to get out now, while I still can, before I end up investing major money into a car that I really am not that into anymore, anyway. I want a True Classic to restore and take to car shows, which will most likely be a 69-71 Lincoln Mark III or a 68-71 Ford LTD. I have my Merc now, which is all the Box that I need and then some. It will likely be my only Box for quite sometime, which is perfectly fine with me

I've have found a buyer for this car, my best friends younger brother, who is a true car guy and actually loves these cars. He had an '89 PI in his younger days that he loved, and now wants to try and recapture some of that by buying this '87 LX and turning it into his Daily Driver. He is supposed to be picking up the car, and driving it home sometime in the next few weeks. I honestly hope he comes through and gets the car. I want it to go to a good home, and not a demo derby.

I will keep the thread updated as to what happens with the car.

Comment

Sucks to hear Brandon but at least it's going to a good home. At least you will have the mercury thanks for the memories mang. It was cool to see the progress from the start of it all.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Thanks Gabe.

I hope you all enjoyed the thread, as much as I enjoyed building and restoring the car. Even though I didn't get to finish it, I learned a lot from this project about what works and what doesn't in restoration, and because of it I will be able to do an even better job on my next project.

It's still a great car, I just know myself enough to know when it's time to move on. These cars where meant to be driven, and I can't see building one that just sits all the time, which is what would end up happening with this project after it was finished. Really would be a all around waste. I just hope it goes to a good home. It doesn't need much more work to be a great car for someone.

My Merc will probably evolve into a Hot Rod eventually in the future, but for now I just want a Nice and Reliable, rust-free Box to DD, so that I can actually enjoy driving again on a daily basis. I found that in my Merc, so that is what I'm concentrating on now.
                Last edited by LTDMan83; 07-15-2009, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Glad you learned a lot from this project. Best of luck with the next one!
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Looks like I'm gonna be keeping this one.

The guy came and looked at the car today, and long story short, it was too much of a project for him to want to take on, so he didn't buy it. I can understand though, most people wouldn't want to take on a project of this size.

Pretty much no one else is gonna give me how much I have to get outta this car, so it looks like I'm gonna be hanging on to this Beast. I guess it will just be sitting in my yard until I figure out what to do with it, because I refuse to junk such a Solid and Straight bodied car. The car is about 85% Rust-Free, and I cannot stand wasting nice things.

Comment

Put a cover over it and place it in a corner till you have time for it again.
                      ~David~

Comment

Yep, that's what I'm gonna do. Park it in the back corner of my 3 acre yard, put a car cover over it, and forget about it for awhile. After my Merc is completed, I will pull it back out and decide what I want to do with it. The car will NOT go to waste.

Comment

The Beast is staying, for sure.

OK, I have decided for sure now to keep this car, finish up the Resto, and do a Budget Build on it. It is just too solid of a car to junk, or sell to the Demo Derby guys I know, who have been chomping at the bit for it ever since one of them saw it. I do like the car, and I want to finish it, it just isn't like me to start things and never finish them.

It's just gonna be a regular stock driver box for now. Will be good for me to have a backup car anyway, (after the Taurus is gone to the boneyard), just in case I need to take the Merc off the road to work on it. I will be keeping the lopo 5.0 that this car already has, since it runs strong and doesn't leak or burn any oil. The car will be getting a freshly rebuilt AOD soon, to replace the powerglide it has now. Probably will throw a Trac-Loc unit in the rear end as well.

Next up, I will be starting on the Interior Restoration and Sound Deadening phase of the car.

Stay Tuned.

Comment

just don't park it on the grass...

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                            Yep, that's what I'm gonna do. Park it in the back corner of my 3 acre yard, put a car cover over it, and forget about it for awhile. After my Merc is completed, I will pull it back out and decide what I want to do with it. The car will NOT go to waste.
                            Park the Vic on gravel if you can.
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                              Park the Vic on gravel if you can.
                              Not possible unfortunately. I don't have any gravel in my parking space or yard, only grass. The only gravel around is in the driveway which leads from the road to the house. I do all my work out there anytime I need to get the car in the air, but I can't park it out there.

Comment

A small update for The Blue Beast.

I finally have an actual update for The Blue Beast again.

Got the Front Floor Pans completely de-rustified, and sealed up with Por15. I sandblasted the heavily rusted areas to completely remove all the rust, the rest of the floor only needed a light sanding to remove the surface rust, and create some tooth for the Por15 to stick to. I kept the factory E-Coat everywhere that it was still good, for added protection. I ran out of Por15 and couldn't finish the rear sections, so that will come next.

Yesterday, I got ahold of a Cherry Picker, and myself and a friend finally pulled the good Rebuilt AOD and the original Motor outta my parts car. Since I have a known good AOD for him, The BB's future is now assured! The lopo is already sold to a guy who is gonna be stuffing it into his Ranger.

I am also finally bidding my parts car a fond farewell. Thanks to this car, My BB has all Mint and Rust/Dent-Free body panels, a very Mint Brown Interior, a Good AOD, and I have enough misc Box parts to last me quite sometime into the future, lots of stuff which can't be bought new as well. Gonna pull the nice Windshield before sending it off as well.

Next up, I will be finishing the rear sections of the floorpan, and laying down Sound-Deadening on the Floor, Roof, and Pillars. I won't be long before The BB is a fully functional car again, and I can't wait!

Till next time!

Comment

Working...
                                X