My 1979 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Seems like mine is grabbing more and more attention each year. I'll be passing through your neighbourhood next weekend sometime en route to Goose Bay from Gander. Going to do the Maritime route instead of along the Labrador coast because the gravel highways there suck. And there is one stretch of highway between Port Hope Simpson to Goose Bay where there's no fuel for 400 km...I don't want to risk that!
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
        There is one stretch of highway between Port Hope Simpson to Goose Bay where there's no fuel for 400 km...
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

(249 miles) My 88 wouldn't make that without a 5 gallon in the trunk to fill the gap. Best I've ever got out of a tank was 230 miles and I put 18.5 gallons in that 18 gallon tank. The 93 would though - no issues.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I've never been able to get more than 14 gallons into my tank. Filling it up with 14 gallons takes it from E up past F. I can't tell if it has 4 gallons left at E, or only 14 gallons at F.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
            2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
            2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I know my 88 has about 3-4 gallons left at E as the needle will go about a quarter tank below E (then it's really out of gas). The 93 however... E means E. The Mark... little more like the 88, but only 1/8 past E. The Low Fuel light comes on at about 4-5 gallons left on each one though, so I just go by that light most of the time.

Comment

Cadillac

When I was at the car wash, a guy came over and said "that's a nice Cadillac" I told him it's a Lincoln. He told me that he owned an Eldorado many years ago. There's no wreath and crest on my TC, so why call it a Cadillac?
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Because people are dumb.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

My car is often identified as a Cadillac by my friends. Sometimes as a Buick. Even once as an Oldsmobile. I was talking to a friend from high school the other week and he asked how my 1994 Cadillac was doing.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                      When I was at the car wash, a guy came over and said "that's a nice Cadillac" I told him it's a Lincoln. He told me that he owned an Eldorado many years ago. There's no wreath and crest on my TC, so why call it a Cadillac?
                      Wait, this is not General Motors Network? I have been grossly mislead by you people. *sigh*

Packman

Comment

time for another starter

The starter will turn but it's not catching until the 3rd or 4th turn of the key. When it does finally catch, it makes an unpleasant sound as the engine comes to life. The starter was rebuilt 3 years ago...
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

won't start now...

I'll have to get my step-bro to hit the starter with a hammer tomorrow, to see if we can get it running! I've made an appointment for Wednesday and will drop my car off tomorrow after work. I really don't want to pay for a tow truck...
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Comment

problem solved

The starter was very loose!! The bolts were barely holding it in place...Has this ever happened to any of your rides? I have my car back from the shop now and it starts perfectly.
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

nope. Those bolts are usually overtorqued and hard as hades to remove.

Comment

Working...
                                X