No announcement yet.

My 1979 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had that problem with the starter falling off my 89 MGM with a 351. I ended up having to bore out the bolt holes and put bigger bolts through with nuts and lockwashers in order to keep it on there.
    One of the bolts on the starter of my current Lincoln used to back off a bit too, so I changed it for a new bolt and it seems to be OK now. I keep an eye to it just to be sure though.
    That's the kind of problems I don't mind having! The cheap ones
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

body work

The front fenders need rust repair along the bottom. They'll be repainted afterwards. I've purchased the paint supplies. Cost for this job will be $600.
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

$700 later

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
        The front fenders need rust repair along the bottom. They'll be repainted afterwards. I've purchased the paint supplies. Cost for this job will be $600.
        Done! The fenders look great. Car is ready for inspection. Getting that done next week
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

The shop wasn't busy, so my car got inspected yesterday! The high beams were stuck on Thursday night during my drive over there, so they replaced the dimmer switch. Oil was also changed.
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

fender pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1664.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1276839Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1666.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1276840Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1667.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1276841Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1668.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1276842
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Looks good! How bad was the rust before the repair?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Good progress. Hope you did not get any salt on that barge!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I've seen that car in person, and believe me it is one solid piece of machinery.
                  Great job on keeping on top of it, Pat!
                  Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                  Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nice! I'll always miss my 79.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                      Looks good! How bad was the rust before the repair?
                      The metal along the bottom of the fenders was rotted through...Would fail inspection as-is, so I had the work done before I took it in.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                        The metal along the bottom of the fenders was rotted through...Would fail inspection as-is, so I had the work done before I took it in.
                        Oh wow. That sounds pretty nasty.

They would fail your inspection for fender rot though? I would think as long as the frame was solid you would be good. (Unless Canada is different?)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                          Oh wow. That sounds pretty nasty.

They would fail your inspection for fender rot though? I would think as long as the frame was solid you would be good. (Unless Canada is different?)
                          Every province is different, but I know here in Newfoundland & Labrador you can't have any holes in the sheet metal. It doesn't matter how the hole is covered, as long as it's covered. The Maritime provinces practice annual inspections and are pretty strict on what passes or fails for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                            Every province is different, but I know here in Newfoundland & Labrador you can't have any holes in the sheet metal. It doesn't matter how the hole is covered, as long as it's covered. The Maritime provinces practice annual inspections and are pretty strict on what passes or fails for the most part.
                            In Ontario, there must not be any holes through to the passenger compartment nor any rust that creates "sharp or jagged edges" in the body. We only have to do inspections when a vehicle changes owner, though. If the original owner of a vehicle kept in their name until it was scrapped, it would never require an inspection!
                            RyPow
                            1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                            1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                            1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                            2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                            1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                            2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                            2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
                              In Ontario, there must not be any holes through to the passenger compartment nor any rust that creates "sharp or jagged edges" in the body. We only have to do inspections when a vehicle changes owner, though. If the original owner of a vehicle kept in their name until it was scrapped, it would never require an inspection!
                              Same as here. There used to be annual inspections here years ago but government dropped that. Garages are now the biggest kind of arseholes when doing inspections because they don't have as many opportunities to take all your money as when they have to certify cars annually.
                              One thing that's different about here (and I think the only other province like it is NB) is that when a vehicle changes owners, an inspection is required to got the registration changed, but the original plates stay on the car and they too transfer from owner to owner.

Comment

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
                                In Ontario: If the original owner of a vehicle kept it in their name until it was scrapped, it would never require an inspection!
                                That's surprising!
                                '79 Continental Town Car
                                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                                X