No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shit...The red does look better and better everytime I take a look at it. The only thing that makes me want to keep the tripminder is the fact that it has an odometer. I may look for an analog clock. The only sucky thing is it would need to function and who knows if they do after 20+ years and the fact that a new dash panel may be required.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

i did a test run with mine (to make sure it worked) and just screwed everything back together and my dash fit, It appears we have the same panel as far as I can tell from the pictures.
      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but what is the problem with the tripminder... and you would be going to an analog clock instead of digital? just a little confusion is all.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

The HVAC controls you can change. There is one 194 bulb in there. Just pull it and the color dome out and install whatever you'd like.

The tripminder and digital clock you can't change the color of. Its a VFD, vacuum fluorescent display. It just is what it is, that blue-green color. The analog clock has a light bulb that can be changed, but you lose the tripminder functions.

As far as I'm aware, the tripminder, digi clock, and analog clock all use the same dash pieces. The clocks directly swap for one another, though I'm not totally sure what the analog clock uses for wiring. I suspect it has the same connectors the digital clock has though. As for functionality, different clock unit but the one in my Towncar is original and working. Don't know if the Vic ones are any less reliable or not.
          Last edited by gadget73; 02-15-2010, 11:34 PM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't know if the tripminder has a different wiring harness, but the digital clock and the analog clock have the same connections.
            Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
            New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

jus get some colored clear plastic to go over the display on your trip clock lol i dont know what colors go with green to get red lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

So are you referring to the tripminder as the one in the speedo assembly, or is it a function of the clock, because I only have the digital clock in my dash, and as far as I know thats the only light I can't change. However maybe I am just dumb or something.
                "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

a tripminder goes in place of the digital clock. It's the same size, just some extra buttons and calculates things like distance travelled and fuel mileage.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I see, thank you for the clarification.
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                      I see, thank you for the clarification.
                      Your confusion is legitimate because your dash is entirely different!.

And I didnt know about the HVAC having the color cap. I will have to look into these things.
                      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Does HVAC have a color cap? I thought the coloring was done with the blue/red colored plastic in the face. I don't remember removing one but my memory's not that great
                        I have blue LEDs in the 85s and 91's HVAC control and they look great
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I prefer the stock green look myself, but go with whatever you like best. You're the one that has to stare at it all the time.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                            Does HVAC have a color cap? I thought the coloring was done with the blue/red colored plastic in the face. I don't remember removing one but my memory's not that great
                            I have blue LEDs in the 85s and 91's HVAC control and they look great
                            I thought that as well, but if Thain said there is a color caps there maybe a color cap. I would have no idea how to get inside the unit to remove it though.
                            ~David~

Comment

Yeah I haven't cracked mine yet but the light hasn't worked since I bought the car, I was informed I could replace it with a blue 194 bulb.
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

yea, the HVAC has a color cap

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                                X