My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
    Lose the mudflaps, as mudflaps belong on a truck. If you're trying to protect the lower fender areas behind the tires...that's what the stainless trim does. Otherwise....it's really developing a redneck look to it with the extra chrome/stainless 'goodies'.

It's almost sitting correctly, drive it and see if it squishes down a bit up front....otherwise, the rear is almost perfect (maybe an inch lower?), the front needs another inch or two....and that's about it.

So far as the shocks are concerned....I would have bought the Police KYB's, personally. The one wagon I ran those shocks on didn't have much of a change from the turd Sensatracs that I yanked off of it in anger.
    Front springs were not installed yet. I purchased everything as a used kit so it is what it is. I am not going out and spending more money when these should be just fine. Oddly enough I pulled Sensatracs off my car and so did Pesty.

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
    I have the same springs as you and ended up having to cut a half coil off the front the make it sit right. I was nervous at first but it was defiantly worth it.
    I wish I had the balls to go right ahead and cut them without installing them but I don't. They will be installed as is and if need be, removed in the future to remove a half coil or so. No sense in blindly cutting them. They may settle over some time so I rather not rush anything.

I looked at your RR thread and you did mention that you had in mind to cut off a half coil. Do you have any current profile pictures showcasing this look?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

No I don't have any pictures yet I need to take some. Ill try to get to that in the next couple of days.
      1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
      2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
      sigpic

Comment

Very Nice Mang!

I tend to like the level look myself. Lowered with a slight rake in the rear is always sweet too though.

Comment

Arn't the GR-2's police shocks anyway? I am slightly curious as to why you got the Gr-2's and not gas-a-just, because of the kit? price? I know the gas a-just offer better performance...most likely what i will be getting when mine blow
          Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 11-21-2010, 02:20 PM.
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
            No I don't have any pictures yet I need to take some. Ill try to get to that in the next couple of days.
            Very cool. I will keep my eyes peeled for updates in your RR thread.

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
            Very Nice Mang!

I tend to like the level look myself. Lowered with a slight rake in the rear is always sweet too though.
            Thanks Brandon.

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
            Arn't the GR-2's police shocks anyway? I am slightly curious as to why you got the Gr-2's and not gas-a-just, because of the kit? price? I know the gas a-just offer better performance...most likely what i will be getting when mine blow
            I got the GR-2's because they were for sale as a kit along with the lowering springs....None of this is new out of the box. Was on a members car for a few months.

Installed a VTE Warehouse Starter Cable Terminal Insulator on Fender Mounted Solenoid as well as VTE Warehouse HOT IN RUN Terminal Insulator on Fender Mounted Solenoid...may install one for the signal wire from the ignition switch as well. I really like their products. Really makes everything look neat and taken care of.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

nope there are civi ones and cop ones, same as gas-a-justs
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

wait so r u saying gas a justs ARE cop ones... *confuzzled* or there are civi gr-2's and cop gr-2's O.O
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

there are civi gr-2's and cop gr-2's O.O

yeah that's what I meant.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

yeah mang, its level now - the difference it just making you feel otherwise. Once you put the lowering spring up front, it will be perfect
                    Saggy rear springs would have the wheel well lip about level with the rear tire.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                      yeah mang, its level now - the difference it just making you feel otherwise. Once you put the lowering spring up front, it will be perfect
                      Saggy rear springs would have the wheel well lip about level with the rear tire.
                      Very cool. So it is all in my noggin then!

I really hope the fronts will make it perfect. I will attempt to do the job myself one of these days because my dad says it is a big job....we have air tool and everything is easy access as compared to the rear so I think I can impress him. And if need be...I will impress him again if the springs need to be cut. I actually impressed him when I changed the tire valve stem in one of my tires by myself.

I had saggy springs back when I got the car and changed them out to the cargo wagon coils in 07. I just remember the ass end looking low. Good to know these are not saggy looking. At least they are firm and not clapped out like the stock springs that used to be in the car.

Some questions....
                      1. For sway bar bushings....do I grease where the bar sits inside the bushing?
                      2. Removing the lower stud of spindle....does the rotor and heat shield have to come off?
                      ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        Some questions....
                        1. For sway bar bushings....do I grease where the bar sits inside the bushing?
                        2. Removing the lower stud of spindle....does the rotor and heat shield have to come off?
                        Sure - the aftermarket ENS bar-to-frame bushings have grease fittings in them. Id hope any bushings sold now should be at least petro-oil resistant rubber, so you shouldn't have to worry about what grease to use.

Definitely take your hub/rotor off, its easy, and you avoid banging it and getting crap on it when you remove the steering knuckle. If the bolts will come loose, the dust shield comes right off too.

Attached Files
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Very good. So it looks as if the dust shield bolts can be accessed once the rotor is off.

This should all go smoothly..well at least disassembly.
                          ~David~

Comment

vacuumed out the car as well as cleaned up the door jambs a tad with Meguiar's Ultimate quick exterior detailer, cleaned the interior with Meguiar's Ultimate quick interior detailer and cleaned the glass with ford aerosol spray.

Also installed a terminal insulator on the ignition signal wire. Still have to clean up the engine bay from all the wet sanding and compound.

And the insulators

Also the car feels noticeably stiffer in the rear with the lowering springs. Cannot wait for the overall feel once the front end is completed.
                            ~David~

Comment

Front Spring Swap PT.1

Started pulling apart the front end for some lowering springs, end links, sway bar bushings and some shocks.

Dad said just get everything ready before pulling the springs. He wants to do that just so I don't lose my face I guess. lol

I pulled the rotor, dust shield, end links, tie rods, l. ball joint and caliper from the spindle. And pulled the shock from the l. control arm.

The upper nut for the shock was a pain...everything else though was relatively easy. Smacking the tie rod and ball joints loose was a little tough as well but not as frustrating as the upper shock bolts.

Now I am waiting for dad to get home to finish her up for me.

Drivers side

Passengers side

Old shocks

Some pics of the tranny cooler because I dont believe I showed any yet

The nice turn around piece

And how she sits as of now

~David~

Comment

Yay it is all done.Wanna wash the car tomorrow, clean the engine bay, shine up all of the bumper stripes shine up the wheels and tires and get some nice pics of the new stance, It looked good in the dark in my back yard.

The lowering springs were about two inches shorter than what was in the car...and the existing drivers side spring was an inch taller than the passengers side one. lol The stance looks perfect from what I can tell. The front is ever so slightly lower than the rear.

Everything went back together well and nobody lost their face.
                                Last edited by 87gtVIC; 11-26-2010, 07:45 PM.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X