No announcement yet.

Neums' 1986 Chicago PD project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bumpers haven't been rechromed yet. They may look OK in the pictures, but in person they look like they were on a 25 year old car that sat outside its whole life (which it is). They really bother me, but I don't want to send them out for plating now and miss events with the car. Probably around November I will send them out.
    I got the door guards off of a 1989 Crown Vic in a wrecking yard. I used a razor blade to remove them. When I got home, I peeled off the remaining stickum. They were white, but kind of yellowish from age, so I sprayed them with white SEM Vinyl Dye. I attached them to my car with some 3M double stick tape made for attaching car trim.

Comment

Impressive that you were able to reuse rubber side-bumper trim. I'd figure the chrome-with-rubber-insert stuff would be a huge benefit in that regard.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I want the car to be as true to 1986 Chicago cars as possible. That is why I changed the rubber strips to the cheaper kind. It is also why I put in the dash guages, rubber floor, and why the seats will be vinyl split benches. The only thing I'm keeping which wasn't in Chicago cars is the trunk carpeting. I was told that Chicago cars came without the trunk liners, but I put so much stuff in there that I think I will keep the liner.

Comment

A few pictures from the Chicagoland Emergency Vehicle Show last weekend. I didn't get everything done that I wanted, just ran out of time, but it came out OK.

Parade on Friday night. 1990 Chicago Caprice behind me.

One big dissapointment, while I was away eating lunch, somebody put a big scratch in my brand new driver's door belt molding. Too deep to polish out, so I'll need to buy an $80 replacement. Probably somebody wearing a ring or watch leaned in to look inside my car or maybe some kid with a toy. I hate having to redo things before I even finish everything.

Comment

looks awsome! but, it does suck that someone scratched your car

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

It does look great.

Amusingly, I had another of the rare specimens show some interest in my car yesterday, in the Lowe's parking lot.

"Hey! What's that got in it? A 440?"

"No, it's a Ford."

"Oh! Is that one of the old Police Interceptors?"

"Yep."

Comment

Here is my "temporary" solution to my seat problem. I got these very nice condition cloth seats from a wrecking yard for $50 (actually $48, I pocketed the $2 in change I found on the floor while removing them in the wrecking yard). I still plan to recover my vinyl seats because that is what the CPD used, but this will free up some money this fall to rechrome my bumpers. In my opinion, they look much better than the sun bleached red seats that were in the car or the dried & torn vinyl replacements I found.

Also found a perfect pair of those "twisty" plastic sleaves for the front seatbelts. (those things which are always broken)
                Last edited by neums; 10-21-2010, 08:13 AM.

Comment

any updates?
                  Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                  New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

I removed and disassembed the bumpers last weekend. They will be rechromed next month. One stubburn bolt holding a bumper pad gave me problems; skinned knuckles and a lot of elbow grease got it off though. I found a pair of NOS taillight assemblies that I'll install when it gets warmer. Thats about it though.

Comment

This is a great looking car, neums. Your caliber of work is commendable.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Finally a weekend warm enough to work in the garage. My bumpers were sent off to be replated a few weeks ago and should be ready any day now. This morning I worked on the inner bumper supports. Hit the rust spots with a wire brush and then a die-grinder, then painted everything with Rustoleum.

Did the same to the license plate holder, but used an aluminum colored Rustoleum, then a few coats of satin clear.

Here are some of the NOS parts I collected over the Winter. Included are 4 bumper guards, cornering lenses, a right side view mirror, a dash molding, and a left tail light assembly. Couldn't find a right side tail light assembly, but I did find a new lens and backup light. I'll probably have to get the old one rechromed.

These are NOS emblems. A Ford oval for the trunk lid, and some shields for the B-pillers. The shields are new, but didn't have the red inserts. A couple of board members helped me with the inserts (thanks again).
                        Last edited by neums; 04-02-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Nice shiny parts!
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Good find on that p/s mirror!

Comment

When do the car shows start in your area?
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

First show in two weeks. Its usually cold, raining, or both though.

Comment

Working...
                                X