My '90 LTD Crown Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    Yeah, there's nothing worse than crawling under cars in the mud trying to get rusty bolts free...
    I have the feeling that was directed somewhere
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I like the raked look on smaller sedans, but on a luxury-type car it just doesn't jive for me. Too bad you don't live by me, I got a junkyard that has a few aero boxes ('88-'91) left to choose body panels from; they just don't have any earlier boxes though. I have two 12-ton and two 6-ton jackstands at my disposal. They weren't that expensive at Harbor Freight. They're currently supporting Putter Project while I rebuild the front-end.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Yeah, there's nothing worse than crawling under cars in the mud trying to get rusty bolts free...
        Wouldn't know, never tried it. Walking through junkyard mud can be quite awful, though - if I had to do it often I'd get a pair of muck boots.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

am i missing anything? going to take the aero rear end apart and see what it looks like. i ordered new axle bearings and seals but don't know what else i'll need. maybe no bearings at all, maybe bearings and axles, who knows...

donor axle, e brake stuff
          brake rotors, calipers, pads, fluid
          differential bearing/seal kit if required
          axle bearings, seals
          axle shafts if required

anything missing? what should i use to paint up the rear end before i bring it to the guy that will be installing the goodies? i will hit it for a wire wheel and get rid of the icky rust.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

oh and gear fluid too. i have 75w-140 i can use but i'll buy other stuff if i need to. is synthetic a good idea, since all of the seals and shit will be new anyway?
            Last edited by 1990LTD; 05-17-2011, 04:17 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

yes... synthetic is a good idea when all the seals will be new.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

U-joints?
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

new, lol
                  sigpic

Comment

an unexpected purchase...

Air Temperature Sensor
                    Coolant Temperature Sensor
                    Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator
                    PCV Valve / Crankcase Ventilation Grommet
                    PCV Valve
                    Water Pump Gasket
                    Intake Manifold Gasket Lower set; Upper set incl.
                    Timing Cover Gasket Set
                    Timing Set
                    Crankcase Breather Element

Whenever the stuff comes in, the car is going down for a couple of days and getting a cobra cam, 19lb injectors, and a lincoln dx3 computer. Didn't plan on putting the stuff on yet but I've gotta fix an oil leak, so..

Also have axle bearings and seals on their way to me. Gotta cut the 3.27 disc rear from under my aero this week and buy pads/rotors. Hopefully I can get the rear end swapped at the same time as I'm doing the engine work; will probably pay a guy for his time and use of his garage and I'll work on one end of the car while he works on the other

Might even be able to get some cancer cut out and have new sheet metal welded in, depending on how much $$ I can muster.
                    Last edited by 1990LTD; 05-18-2011, 12:49 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Wonder how much it really costs to get someone else to cut rust out and repair it properly ....
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                        Didn't plan on putting the stuff on yet but I've gotta fix an oil leak, so..
                        I knew a dude once that went to change his oil that ended up being a month long engine swap project. Pretty much said the same thing.

Packman

Comment

timing cover, intake, water pump gaskets arrived along with a new ECT, ACT and fuel pressure regulator. PCV stuff too but that goes without saying.

axle seals and bearings also arrived today - just want to make sure - the bearings don't have separate races, do they? they just ride in the axle tube as i understand it.

i just need to buy brake parts now and tear things apart/put em back together and the car will be mechanically sound (not that it isn't now, but the rear brakes wouldn't pass inspection because of the seeping gear oil)

next stop: sheet metal
                          Last edited by 1990LTD; 05-31-2011, 04:10 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

upon closer inspection, the bearings are already in the races and look like a complete unit.

the bearings can't be removed easily but they're obviously separate pieces now that i have them out of the bag to examine.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                              next stop: sheet metal
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

wax makes things look purrdy.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X