My 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2-Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

then i guess the relay is shot.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Matt you can test if the relay is working if you simply connect a ground to 85 and a power to 86. You can hear and feel the coil within the relay click when applying power and removing power.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Matt you can test if the relay is working if you simply connect a ground to 85 and a power to 86. You can hear and feel the coil within the relay click when applying power and removing power.

This.

Absolutely no need for guesswork here. Also, stick a meter across the relay and verify continuity across the appropriate pairs of terminals only.

I actually go through these steps before wiring any relay, just to double-check that I have a clue what I'm doing and that my brain isn't completely shorted out. Especially when I finally tried actually hooking one up as SPDT.
        Last edited by 1987cp; 12-15-2010, 10:26 AM.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I am sure you will love this then:

Everything to do with interior and body electrical including headlights and tail lights. CFI specific discussions and AC/heating systems.

A project I have yet to try that I asked about over a year ago..I hope it works out.

Relays can be useful if you know what you are doing. I can;t say I know what I am doing but I have a few of them in my car.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

got new relays today rated at 30/40 Amps and they come with there own plug adapter with wire already there. Pics in a few. Hopefully this works.
            Last edited by MattsLincoln; 12-15-2010, 07:41 PM.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
            1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

ok heres pics and here the wire colors number

30= Orange Wire
              87a= Yellow Wire
              87= Green Wire
              85= Black
              86= Blue

Comment

Those are nice looking. I especially like how the ground wire (black) and trigger wire (blue) are dinky because that is all they need to be to activate the coil distributing good power through the fatter wires.
                ~David~

Comment

these relays cost me only 5 bucks each.trying this once again. hopefully i dont have the same problem. for pin 86 and 87 the stock wire that i am using for them is the same. Its the stock power wire that goes before reaching the stock horns then the rest of them. is it ok if i tap 86 and 87 in the same wire.

Comment

No. It is not. 86 and 87 have to be totally separate. 86 has to trigger power through the coil for pin 87. 86 is an input from the stock horn stalk switch. 87 is an output of power supplied by pin 30 leading to your horns giving them full battery power.

Again. 85 Ground
                    86 input of stock horn switch signal
                    87 output of power to horns
                    30 constant hot.
                    ~David~

Comment

i don't understand what you mean by output of power to horns. Does that mean tap that wire to any of the power wires on the other horns.

Comment

that means the wire that is cut from the horn switch line... the part that continues down to the horns... use that part to drive the horns.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

ok i snipped the stock wire from the horn and now the wire that leads to the stalk only is connected to the wire that goes to pin 86. I then fused the wire for pin 87 with my horns power wire. Then ground and constant hot and it should be good.

Comment

the fuse should be on the wire into pin 30... back at the battery (or where you got the source of power).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

*step away from the wire strippers*...
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

success. It works. I originally used the 87a yellow wire and once i hooked that up to the positive post the horns blew without me touching the switch( must be a continuous pin. so i swapped the wire with just 87 the green wire and presto it works perfectly now. Horns are much louder. Video tomorrow. Next project relaying the headlights. ha ha.

Comment

Working...
                                X