Larisa "1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass 2-Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it.
    Where did you get this lighting gel? This is something that I may find useful for my own car.

As for the 89 TC cluster swap, do you know if that is a direct swap? I know the analog cluster for 89 TC uses a fuel level sender with 15-160 ohms like the 90+ stuff, but I don't know of the 89 TC digital cluster adopted the same sender. I think the 88 and older digital clusters used a sender with something like 10-220 ohms.

Even of it's not a direct swap I don't think it would be anywhere near as difficult as swapping from analog to digital.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      I like it.
      Where did you get this lighting gel? This is something that I may find useful for my own car.

As for the 89 TC cluster swap, do you know if that is a direct swap? I know the analog cluster for 89 TC uses a fuel level sender with 15-160 ohms like the 90+ stuff, but I don't know of the 89 TC digital cluster adopted the same sender. I think the 88 and older digital clusters used a sender with something like 10-220 ohms.

Even of it's not a direct swap I don't think it would be anywhere near as difficult as swapping from analog to digital.
      The digital dash is the same from 1980-1989, they bolt the same the only difference is better resistors and capacitors are found on the 89 being the last year. Its a direct swap.

Lighting gel was found on ebay i used a lee filter lighting gel #026 which is bright red

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I like the look of that Matt. Seem fine to read through the photo.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I think the concern is that the speedometer is quite a bit brighter than the other two panels. So if one is to dim the dash for a long-distance night-time drive, by the time the speedometer is dim enough to not bother the eyes the two side panels will be darn near pitch-black. Regardless, I do like the color change, red is very easy on the eyes after dark. Ironically blue is one of the worst colors for night-time eye fatigue, and guess what color gauges/lighting many of the newer models of large commercial vehicles come with? lol
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
            I think the concern is that the speedometer is quite a bit brighter than the other two panels. So if one is to dim the dash for a long-distance night-time drive, by the time the speedometer is dim enough to not bother the eyes the two side panels will be darn near pitch-black. Regardless, I do like the color change, red is very easy on the eyes after dark. Ironically blue is one of the worst colors for night-time eye fatigue, and guess what color gauges/lighting many of the newer models of large commercial vehicles come with? lol
            Night time driving it's perfectly readable no issues there, only daytime its hard to read the fuel gauge and the message center unless you lay your hand above the display to block light is it readable.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
            1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Ah, the sunlight reflection/saturation. Yeah that would be one reason I don't much like digital clusters. It's also the reason why I modded my wiring to where I can turn the dash lights on without firing up all the marker lights at the same time.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

That's pretty cool! The red digidash colors really go well with the red on the outside of the car, the red stitching on the seats, etc. Well done mang.
                '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

I like it. You should do a write up on how you did it. How did you get rid of the green/blue (assuming you did or it'd be purple right)?
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I like the red, looks nice and factory almost! There's a reason why serious night time stuff is done in red- It doesn't fatigue the eyes. That's why ship captains and stuff prefer red over every other color. Don't believe me? Wake up in the middle of the night and stare at your red digital alarm clock. Notice you don't feel the strain on your eye and can still see around. Try that with any other color clock. Why I kinda laugh at digital alarm clocks of any other color.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                      I like it. You should do a write up on how you did it. How did you get rid of the green/blue (assuming you did or it'd be purple right)?
                      I will do a write up when i have the time basically all that needs to be modified is the faceplate of the digital dash cluster, from the backside of the faceplate you can see cutouts of all the filters from the factory, using a multifunction tool with a circular mini saw blade attachment you can cut the filters out to the exact size of the opening on the faceplate, after that you measure your lighting gel sheet and apply it to the front of the cluster without it covering any indicators like turn signals but leave little bit of overlay this way you can use clear silicone adhesive to glue the lighting gel sheet to the front of the faceplate using the factory inserts as something to have the lighting gel to stick too.
                      Last edited by MattsLincoln; 06-14-2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                        I like it.

Funny you mention that because im actually attempting to do the first analog to digital dash conversion for my friends town car. Its really not to bad once you understand the circuits and wiring for it.

Comment

I looked at it and said "fuck that". The fuel gauge and speedo is a complete piece of cake. The message center wiring was just more than I wanted to deal with. It interfaces with all of the lighting and replaces most of the other instrumentation and idiot lighting. Honestly its the only part I'd even want. I don't care for the digital fuel gauge or speedo. I just wanted fuel economy readouts. Between the wiring and the failure prone electronics that I wasn't overly keen on fussing with, it became a lot easier to retain my perfectly functional original analog clock. Its one of the few original items in the car at this point.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If Gadget isn't attempting it I would think twice!

Not a huge fan of red lighting, but nice job. I had no idea you could do that.
                            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                            Past Panthers
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

If you have a donor car, it would be less difficult. There is a lot of wiring in that dashboard that changes though, and I just didn't want to deal with it. Basically the way to do it is pull the dashboard from both the digital donor and the analog victim and swap all of the parts needed. You can't get to it without stripping it out pretty far.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                If you have a donor car, it would be less difficult. There is a lot of wiring in that dashboard that changes though, and I just didn't want to deal with it. Basically the way to do it is pull the dashboard from both the digital donor and the analog victim and swap all of the parts needed. You can't get to it without stripping it out pretty far.
                                I agree thain, it is a major pain in the ass due to all the wiring needs to be extended, at least this one is a little easier though i made the harness plug and play this way it can be removed and go back to analog without cutting factory wires, if i had to do this for another customer once i make sure this first attempt for the conversion works i would charge about $300 to do as its very labor and time intensive, i have studied for a whole week on the wiring for digital dash, the install im doing is basic digital dash without lamp out warning feature since that is the most pain in the ass part to do as it adds 20+ wires that need resistors to the 40 wires coming from the module pigtail, out of those 40 wires 14 wires are self contained for the keyboard leaving 26 wires that still need to be hooked up, 8 wires go to sensors while the rest go to the instrument cluster plug and the message center display. So far i got most of the wiring done, need to extend a few more wires then i can bench test to see if everything works that doesnt need to be hooked up in the car to work(stuff that only work when it is in the vehicle is dimmer(which my friend does not want, it does require a digital dash headlight switch) turn signals, vehicle speed sensor wiring, fuel flow wiring, high beam indicator, chime for when a button is pressed on the keyboard, and the sensors) the rest can be bench tested including seeing if all the keyboard functions work.
                                Last edited by MattsLincoln; 06-14-2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X