No announcement yet.

1975 Ford Maverick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would highly recommend that you weld in some sub-frame connectors. Mavericks bodies were not very stiff from the factory and they twist easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
      I would highly recommend that you weld in some sub-frame connectors. Mavericks bodies were not very stiff from the factory and they twist easily.
      X47! Good point, I have bent the roof by launching stockish fox cars w/good tires. There was a guy a the track that ran a pretty stout Capri w/no subs, when he started to spray it he carcked his windshield.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Just happened to click on this and thought of this thread.

Comment

I'll look into subframe connectors in the future...hopefully won't be pushing the car hard enough to need them as a daily driver but we shall see.

Been doing lots of various things to the car. Removed the windshield, took care of the rust and painted the area around it. Going to reseal it when it gets warm enough. Notched the front fenders to accept the skinny bumper and valence I have to go on there.

Lots more rewiring on the interior, got the turn signal indicators working and rewiring the power locks and windows to install into a fuse box.

I'll attach a picture of an example of how bad the wiring is, this was how he re-wired the trunk lights, there is a module there that makes the bulbs sequential. One capacitor is blown out so I ordered 4 new ones just to have extra, then I'll seal up the control module somehow

On the suspension sides of things....the one lower ball joint is the worst I've ever seen, new moog lower control arms are $35 with the ball joint and new bushing installed! Also putting in new end links and i'll replaces the upper ball joints when I put in some stiffer lowering springs and shocks. I adjusted the wheel bearings in them meantime, the one was pretty darn loose.

Painted the valve covers and intake, replaced the throttle plate as the previous numbskull had blocked the idle hole off with a piece of metal hammered in there, bending the plate. Engine runs once again, planning on tuning the computer sometime in the near future!

Think that's it for now...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1217141726.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1276868Click image for larger version

Name:	1217141744.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1276869Click image for larger version

Name:	mms_picture.jpg
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	1276870Click image for larger version

Name:	mms_picture_2.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1276871
          Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 12-21-2014, 06:13 PM.
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

wow... all those cheater taps... looks MUCH better.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

was all that seriously installed in a cardboard box? Thats funny stuff right there. At least they could have gone with a plastic Sealtite container
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The paint job looks great...now you need one of David's cool intake plates!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

That wiring is the best I've ever seen, I admire the different colored wires for every splice, plus all the vampire taps n' such. Really a work of art.
                  I hope you used all of this as a bartering point when you bought this hooptie

Beautiful work, as always.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                  The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                  It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Thanks guys, I have a good idea for an intake plaque I'm working out

So funny story about that tissue box....

Bringing the car home, it was raining and the interior carpet was a bit wet from a leak that is now fixed. However the temperature was PERFECT for fogging up the windshield, between the tint and the fogging I basically couldnt see, so I had a rag and a box of tissues that I constantly kept wiping the windshield and side windows. The windshield wipers are about 20 years old...so they wouldnt wipe the rain off properly. THEN one of them FELL OFF onto the wiper arm. Did I mention the rear tires are basically bald? So as a result it was one of the most dangerous 45 minute drives I've ever had....but hey it makes a great story....

AND that is why there is a cardboard box of tissues back there. All those wires were just hanging loose like that, a bit more tucked, but not by much.
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

POS update time

I took the trans out to fix the rear main seal, (which needed a repair sleeve, was well grooved). ended up replacing the tailshaft bushing, front and rear seals, shift for inserts, and front bearing retainer (the previous owner had cut it for some reason, making it 1/2" too short, and the bearing preload was a little loose)

Replacing the oil pan gasket as well while i'm in there, there was a healthy amount of sludge in the bottom of the pan...

John and I took a look at the chip that had been programmed for the car...as suspected they did a half assed job, but was enough to allow it to run, once it's back together we will begin really tuning it, I'm actually looking forward to that..

Question: I've been looking for a part# on the block to determine what year it is, is there any way to tell? The rear main seal i pulled out had a 91 part # on it, but it could have been replaced.

Name:	IMG_2930.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1276958Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3048.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1276959Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3058.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1276960Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3061.jpg
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1276961
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Ran Into a small snag when I was putting the transmission back in. PO ghetto-rigged the cross member to make it work with the T5, basically hanging off two bolts... Had to cut and weld new tabs, and enlarge then mount holes to make it work the way it should.

Good news is drivetrain is all back together! New rear main seal, oil pan gasket, and all new seals in the trans. I can't wait to get this thing on the street.
                        I've already begun tearing the cooling system apart, but that shouldn't take me long to complete.

Oh, and I decided to keep the Drag-lites, but switch tire sizes around a bit.

Name:	IMG_3166.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1277031Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3171.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1277032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3176.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1277033Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3177.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1277034
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

That's a lot of un-rigging you've had to do. At least you'll know the car like the back of your hand when you get it where you want to be.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

What did the crossmember look like before, just the front two ears present ? What purpose would hacking the rear ones off serve if you were able to put them back on and it fits?
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

John- Absolutely, perhaps more than I would have liked to, but in the long run it's for the best

Thain- The attached pictures are the only ones I have that kind of shows what they did.... They welded in a pipe between the ears, and put extremely long bolts through the frame support and then through the cross member hanging off the back. It was a terrible idea that kind of worked, however you could see the bolted were tweaked, and had the trans mount not been falling apart, may have done some major damage. To make it work I had to extend the ears by welding on new metal, not by a lot, just enough to make it a pain

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1277038
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 02-14-2015, 01:20 AM.
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

oh, I see. the T5 needed the mount behind where the stock one did so they cantilevered it out on a bolt. Yeah thats a bullshit fix. I'm guessing you moved the ears forward so it would actually sit across the spot on the body intended for the mount then?

Comment

Working...
                                X