Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Does anybody know where the box/module whatever it is for the door chime? Mine works fine but I have an idea I want to try.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Why didn't they work?
    The goofy aftermarket ones in the car now have the housing that holds the bulb made one piece with the the lens. The originals had the lens glued on, so without some creative DIY that's beyond my skill level they weren't going to work. Plus if I screw one up in the process I'm totally shit out of luck because nobody and I mean nobody has a whole assembly for sale and when the do come up they're $500.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Why didn't they work?

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Good news the eBay seller that sold me the turn signal lenses "MarkII Enterprises" is allowing me to return them hassle free. Bad news I really wanted those to work. The lenses with the emblem look so much better than the plain clear lenses.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    You can just route the belt around the smog pump and abandon it in place. If the pulley is in the way, it unbolts.

I think the vacuum connection thing came about later on. I don't recall seeing it on CFI cars.
    It may be a later thing, I haven’t looked real closely at this one.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    You can just route the belt around the smog pump and abandon it in place. If the pulley is in the way, it unbolts.

I think the vacuum connection thing came about later on. I don't recall seeing it on CFI cars.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
    The intake for the pump was literally just a hole in the pump body, atleast on mine. There was only one big hose coming from the pump which went to the junction controlled by the two solenoids.
    On my '88 there was a rubber hose about 1/4" diameter that came off the smog pump and went to the cruise servo, I spliced into that line to have vacuum for my HVAC. Regardless of what it is the intake side of an air pump will create vacuum simply by the fact that it's pulling in air.

Leave a comment:

• Arquemann
    replied
    Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
    I imagine it's the intake side of the pump that is pulling the vacuum.
    The intake for the pump was literally just a hole in the pump body, atleast on mine. There was only one big hose coming from the pump which went to the junction controlled by the two solenoids.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
    Ah, everything is bigger in America, including hills lol
    But how does the smog pump create vacuum? As far as I've seen it's just a low-ish pressure air pump. Or does the TAD/TAB solenoids magically make vacuum?
    I imagine it's the intake side of the pump that is pulling the vacuum.

Leave a comment:

• Arquemann
    replied
    Originally posted by sly View Post
    With the lopo, getting up the hill on a grade would cause you to need to open the throttle enough that if the grade lasted long enough (2-5 miles), the vacuum would degrade enough for the servo to let go since it's vacuum assisted. When you leveled out and throttle closed back up, it would engage again if the cruise had not been canceled. When I put the redneck ram air on the 88, it would create just enough pressure that cruise would loose pressure after about 5 miles if the speed was over 65. That's why I added the vacuum pump to that car. Had zero issues after that.
    Ah, everything is bigger in America, including hills lol
    But how does the smog pump create vacuum? As far as I've seen it's just a low-ish pressure air pump. Or does the TAD/TAB solenoids magically make vacuum?

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    With the lopo, getting up the hill on a grade would cause you to need to open the throttle enough that if the grade lasted long enough (2-5 miles), the vacuum would degrade enough for the servo to let go since it's vacuum assisted. When you leveled out and throttle closed back up, it would engage again if the cruise had not been canceled. When I put the redneck ram air on the 88, it would create just enough pressure that cruise would loose pressure after about 5 miles if the speed was over 65. That's why I added the vacuum pump to that car. Had zero issues after that.

Leave a comment:

• Arquemann
    replied
    I don't know how different the smog system is on a EEC-III system, but I can't possibly figure out any way that the smog pump would do anything else than pump air to the heads and cats.
    Mine is smog deleted and I haven't found any difference in the car's behaviour (I removed the smog pump due to awful bearing noise). Cruise control takes a while to kick in, but it's been like that always for me.

What comes to doing the smog delete: it's pretty easy. And I'd assume the Thermactor and EGR are two completely separate entities in your car aswell.
    In the simplest form disabling the Thermactor is just unplugging the TAD/TAB solenoids on the pass. fender.

I've personally removed all of the smog pump stuff, pump came out in 20 minutes, threw on a shorter belt and off I go. The solenoids, vacuum lines and air tubing took about half an hour to remove.
    Cap off the vacuum nipple at the vacuum distribution block, mount the MAP sensor and plug the two check valves going to the heads and cats. I used plastic furniture plugs from a hardware store, 2,49€ for 4. Even the one next to the passenger header has held up fine.
    I'll install the plug bolts into the backs of the heads next spring, since I'll get more access with the CFI, vacuum mess and intake removed.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Every time I look at everything involved in the smog pump system I decide that I have no desire to go through the trouble of removing everything and plugging the backs of the heads and the cats. My desire to tinker on things only goes so far, and my desire to actually work on projects only involves certain things.

It’s much easier to just have it there in a possible inoperable state. My smog pump is like my EGR I don’t know if it’s working but I know the car is running fine.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    No smog pump here on my vic. Cruise works fine.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    There's a bypass valve on the smog pump that supplies supplemental vacuum to the cruise control servo to keep it solid on those long up-hill climbs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X