Anyone Do Sound Deadening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Do Sound Deadening?

I took out my backseat [only the bottom half], and put down a layer of mat. I knew I had some Sludge left over from the trunk [damn near a gallon] also, so I decided to put that down on the floor as well. This is only a small portion of sound deadening, I plan to do much more.

As you can see where the factory sound deadening covered, I had to scrape it all off, most of it just came up from lightly pulling on it. Some of it I had to use a screw driver to scrape it off.

[All Off ]

I started to lay mat after using Windex to clean the floor. This actually went by very fast, I like deadening this part of the car a lot more than when I deadened the trunk. I plan on finishing when I take off the back part of the seat.

[Done, with that part]

Now, I laid down some thick liquid sound deadener called Spectrum Sludge, I really like this product a lot along with almost all of Second Skin's products.
    I taped off, so I wouldn't get any on the seat belts or any other important pieces.

I always thought my Vic had enough sound deadening, as it was very quiet. I like a bit of noise in the car though, cuz noise makes it feel not so old-person-ish.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

A while back I did the trunk, it is basically done, I just need to get some Overkill Pro (neoprene foam from Second Skin) and some Heat Wave (a flame retardant), then recarpet it. I hit the lid hard a while back with 4 layers of sound deadening mat and a thickass layer of Sludge, same with the floor in the trunk.

I also done the rear deck and behind the seat. I am going to take off my rear deck again and add a few more layers to that and bolt a sheet of MDF underneeth or 1/8" plywood to it to sturdy it up. I may add my remaining Sludge to it.

I have done the driver door a little, I still need to put some more in there, I am going to buy a couple more gallons of sludge for the doors.

The Sludge makes it look like an elephant shat in my car:lol:

I can't wait till summer break from school, much more deadening will be done

Oh yes, my trim pieces around the head liner are all metal. I put a layer of mat on them, and then I had bought some crafting foam and I put it behind the pieces. That helped out with interior rattles from the subwoofer A LOT.

The Sludge is starting to skin over, I hope it is dry enough to fold carpet down and put seat bottom back in by tomorrow night/evening.

Comment

i used duct tape on all my doors for sound deadening. it actually made quite a difference. i;m used to noisy car so sound deadening wasnt a big concern for me
        LTD is still here

Comment

deadening...

Here is what I did in my 84....
          First, I cleaned up and undercoated the floor...

Then I installed some stuff that I got from a local upholstery shop.. it has some silver foil on one side to act as a heat shield, and insulation attached to it.

I even took a piece and glued some black plastic to it to make a new back seat insulator... as mine had been eaten up by some sort of animals... insulation was scattered all over behind the seat, and in the trunk....

I have noticed a BIG difference in the heat coming up thru the floor... Since the cats are right below the driver and passenger floor board... (Yes, it has true duals, including cats....) it is also much quieter than it used to be.....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
          Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

i've used a similar product in one of my customers cars, it's called lizard skin, i sprayed it over the entire interior and undercarriage and trunk of a customers 88 towncar........i'm doing the undercarriage of his vw, and i have done the wheelwells of his volvo
            how much is that second skin? do they make a ceramic formula?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I gotta have some noise if not the radio... for some reason absolute quiet has always been really weird for me... it makes me feel like Im going crazy
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I actually have two layers of insulation under my carpet, and a third special layer in the front section to help with exhaust heat coming though the firewall on the long hauls.

Comment

Whatever came in my car is what it had. Its not too loud for me.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

The owner Anthony (ANT), is a super nice guy. If you want more info on products, I can bring a SS rep, well he technically isn't a rep, but he knows almost everything about all of the products since he has used them all in his car.

And yes they do have a "ceramic spray", look around on that site. If you join their forums, you can end up getting discounts on products like I did after a certain amount of posts. You can look at other peoples sound deadening installs if you would like too.

Comment

I ripped out most of mine.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Passenger Side

Those white bags, they made it so hard to take up the original deadening for some reason after removing them. I am going to get something else to protect from heat as soon as I change carpet.

Yay ~beer2~

OMG remind me to get new wirebrush attachment. That one sucked...
                        w00t

Like I said, you can still see some rust under the big mat in the back, I am waiting till i take out my dash so I can remove that then replace it or put the same one back in.

Comment

Driver Side

Then a million hours pass while using the wirebrush attachment to remove the paint and rust....:lol:

Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            The fun is only beginning!
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figure, I am not going to have to drain water any time, so I sealed those up and covered those plugs.

The back seat foot area will be done when I get new carpet. I plan on putting a layer of Damplifier over this layer of eDead, along with a layer of Sludge. HeatWave and some Overkill on top of all that too. And last but not least, the carpet will have 1/8" rubber backing on it.

I would of taken it out for a spin, but my brother is parked behind me. I am glad I get to park in the garage though, this would of sucked outside because it is raining. I am anxious to see how much road noise this cuts down! Road noise is cut down quite a bit, and I can't feel the engine through the floor anymore .

Two total layers of eDead at the moment...4 layers where the cats are located.
                            Last edited by saiyaneye; 03-02-2007, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I want to do that with my car, oddly I can't stand a total lack of noise though. I have tinnitus fairly bad in both ears, so unless there is some background noise, the ringing drives me batshit. I hate air noise especially though. Mostly what I want to do with my car is kill off the air noises and a fair amount of road noise so I can run the stereo at lower volumes. Much as I like loud music, listening to my ears scream for hours afterward is so very not worth it.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X