Bulbs for Rear Def/Rear Window/Antenna Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulbs for Rear Def/Rear Window/Antenna Switches

I have a 91 CP and it has the type of dash where the rear defroster is a separate switch from the climate control unit; it's on a piece of trim that runs between the climate control unit and the radio. Also in this trim piece is the power antenna switch and on the other side of the steering wheel is the one for the power rear window. The switches are backlit, and there are these little tiny bulbs like the size of an appleseed that light them up, and of course a couple of them are now burnt out. I haven't had any luck finding them in lighting catalogs; anybody know what kind of bulb they are?

Thanks
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

i think you have to replace the switch, its been a while since i ripped one apart...witch ones dont light up?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

they are a strange bulb indeed... I just removed mine because I could not easily chnage them to LED. If I can find the old bulb you can have it.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Like the one pictured below? It's a 2162 listed in Sylvania's replacement guide under instrument panel-general. IIRC, the radio uses them as well.
        Attached Files
        sigpic
        1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
          i think you have to replace the switch, its been a while since i ripped one apart...witch ones dont light up?
          I'm not at home right now, but IIRC, it's the antenna one and the rear window one.

Where would I find this switch? My local boneyard has no 90-91 boxes.
          Last edited by 91waggin; 03-04-2008, 04:33 PM. Reason: typo
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
            Like the one pictured below? It's a 2162 listed in Sylvania's replacement guide under instrument panel-general. IIRC, the radio uses them as well.
            Don't think that's it; it doesn't look right off the top of my head, but I'll have to get home and take a look. Thanks, though!

Comment

sometimes if you fiddle with the switch a bit, they iluminate. my 91 did that, sometimes they went out then id push on em and they light back up.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                sometimes if you fiddle with the switch a bit, they iluminate. my 91 did that, sometimes they went out then id push on em and they light back up.
                Tried that already.

Also, found the entire switch assembly on teamford parts for ~$50 apiece. Seems a little much to pay for just a damn bulb. When I head home this weekend I'll take a picture of what the bulb looks like.

Comment

Can you take a picture of the defroster switch, so I can get an idea, they might be the same as the early aero vic defroster and antenna switches

Comment

Np, I'd be surprised though if Ford made a part like that though. If you call Bill at Teamford, he could probably give you some advice also. Gm is a great one for making parts like that though. My Grand Am has that recalled hazard switch that has to be replaced entirely every time the flasher goes.
                    Last edited by 86GmLsCoupe; 03-04-2008, 08:14 PM.
                    sigpic
                    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

that bulb might be the one... its the type that are made into a little plastic socket that comes out all as one unit. It might be the kind you can bend back the leads and pull the bulb out... cant remember.
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        Can you take a picture of the defroster switch, so I can get an idea, they might be the same as the early aero vic defroster and antenna switches
                        Good call! I didn't even think of that. I think you're right, but I will have to look.
                        IIRC, the one in the aeros are black while mine are chrome, but I'll bet the bulbs are the same and could be swapped out.

Comment

Found an Aero Vic in the boneyard, grabbed the antenna switch, and tried it. It didn't light up either, but I got a good picture of the bulbs.
                          The one on the right has one of those bulb caps on it for some reason, I guess to color the light on the switch. In any case, It ripped when I tried to pull it off.

Comment

yep - if its like my 91, one to illuminate it green and one to light up when its on.
                            sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately, the bulbs in the antenna switch are different than the ones in the rear def switch. The rear def switch works fine, but all of the switches for the antenna that I've been able to find have been dead as well. They probably are the same ones that are in your 91, if the vic has an antenna switch. Any ideas, oh great and powerful LED guru?

Comment

Working...
                              X