Trunk Muncher questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk Muncher questions

Pete really got me hooked to the coolness of the trunk muncher, so much so that i want one myself.

According to Pete and Thain, Petes set up consisted of a Continental latch, Mark something lower motor and Town Car upper assembly.

My question is can i just take an entire assembly off of a Town Car? If so what year(s). Any info that one may have will be greatly appreciated. I am getting a list of things together for my next visit with Scott whenever that may be.

Prior information found here: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...=trunk+muncher
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

I think Pete tried that and found the latch mechanism wasn't quite shaped in a way that worked right with the Vic's trunk latch setup. I think thats the reason for the Conti latch.

The motors are all basically the same as far as I'm aware. Just the mounting plate and the striker changed depending on the model.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So finding a conti latch mechanism and just town car stuff should work? Because last trip to the junkyard there was not one Mark VII that i saw.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The motor assembly itself should be the same for all 80 lincolns' - the wiring and exterior of the motor looks like it got changed for the 90s, but the catch with attached gear i used from the newer type fit the insides of the old one.
        The bracket to attach the motor to the trunk well was important, Im still not sure which one i used because thain gave me two and I just picked the one that worked better... i wanna say it was the townie one. Bending may have been involved...
        Im also not sure what upper switch I used, it was whatever he gave me I bet more than one could be made to work though.
        Id say grab all the parts/wiring off a townie, find the 'P' catch and go from there. Maybe grab a couple brackets from various lincolns you can find, in case you need a different one.

Its definitely a good mod to do, well worth some head scratching... once I had the right parts it finished up pretty smoothly, even the wiring wasn't too bad.
        Folks that notice it and know its not supposed to be there are like
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

were these brackets that hold the motor riveted in?

And yes it is definitely a nice mod. I do enjoy tinkering with my car, but this mod has a purpose...I hate having to slam the trunk to close.

And one more thing...can you take a couple more pictures of your setup when you have a chance?
          ~David~

Comment

If you need trunk mechanism parts from a mark VII I might be able to help you out.
            .......remember that 90 se parts car?
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

no rivets, everything is bolted in. What do you need more detailed pics of?? I should have everything covered in my project thread.
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
                If you need trunk mechanism parts from a mark VII I might be able to help you out.
                .......remember that 90 se parts car?
                If the Town car parts do not work, you will be contacted.

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                What do you need more detailed pics of?? I should have everything covered in my project thread.
                I dont know...it just seemed like something i should ask lol.

So sis the final product have all of those washers installed? And did you have to use your existing upper trunk thingy and just bolt the sensor to that?
                ~David~

Comment

why not make a setup to work on the doors haha some luxury cars do it and its gangster the trunk is pretty gangster to haha. I want one.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Nope, once I got the P striker it worked with the vic upper latch where its supposed to be, with the upper switch bolted to the latch. I wanted to use the whole lincoln latch assembly, but it bolted to the trunklid completely different.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                      Nope, once I got the P striker it worked with the vic upper latch where its supposed to be, with the upper switch bolted to the latch. I wanted to use the whole lincoln latch assembly, but it bolted to the trunklid completely different.

okay sweet. I cant wait to get this done!

And you put the p striker into the Towncar motor assembly mechanism?
                      ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        I hate having to slam the trunk to close.
                        If you adjust your Trunk Lid correctly, then you won't have to slam it.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                          If you adjust your Trunk Lid correctly, then you won't have to slam it.
                          Quite true. Before I added the luggage cruncher to mine, the trunk shut easily without having to be slammed. It did require a bit more effort than it does now, but it was still nothing more than a gentle push. My hood is much harder to latch.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

bah lies!!!! Mine is adjusted perfectly where all the body lines are right. I could adjust it where the trunk closes easily but then it would just look stupid.

I just want the coolness factor.
                            ~David~

Comment

Nah. The one on my '87 Vic both fits the body perfectly, and closes with only slight fingertip pressure. The way it is supposed to be. I have found that not all the panels on these cars were created equal from the factory though, and some do not fit as well as others.

A pro could get your lid adjusted were it would fit the body perfectly, and close right.

Comment

Working...
                              X