Manual front seat to Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual front seat to Power

my passenger side seat in my marquis is a manual move seat no power to it. i was wondering if the chord to make it a power seat if i want to is underneath the carpet. Does anyone know if the wiring to a power seat is underneath the floor if the car has a manual seat. i don't want to tear up my carpet if that wiring chord for an optional power seat install isn't there. Do the keep that chord under the carpet or do they not put that in at all. Was hoping to switch it to a power seat but didn't want to if the wasn't any chord there to hook it up to.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

it might have the wire under the carpet for the power seat track......not sure on a 83.....if it isnt there it is no big deal to tap power off of the drivers side seat motor plug

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I did not have the harness underneath the seat. Here is a thread about how I installed my passengers side power seat. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showpost...&postcount=235

It is really simple to pull out the carpet mang and tap into the drivers side harness.

What you will need to buy is a p. side power seat controls and the harness for it as well as the power seat tracks with motor.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

which i can get at a junkyard off of one that has a power passenger side seat.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

what do you mean by tapping the drivers power seat. i don't want to have it not working right after i attempt this.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
            what do you mean by tapping the drivers power seat. i don't want to have it not working right after i attempt this.
            tapping means just splicing in the power wire for the new motors onto the drivers side power wire. You will only have to connect a power and a ground for the motor setup. I grounded the motor right onto the seat bolts and got power from my drivers side motor.

All you do essentially is find out which wire of the two is HOT all of the time and cut away some of the insulation and wrap around the new power wire and solder/tape etc them together.

The only way it wont work is if the motors are shot to begin with.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

When i did mine, I fished the power wire out of the junkyard car all the way from the seat to the plug-in power panel under the dash. In mine the spot next to the drivers power seat plug was empty and hot, so I just plugged it right in.
              Its not hard to fold the carpet back in one piece once you have the seat out and the sill trim panel off.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Mine too. I just ran the wire under the carpet. Had both seats out so I could route the wiring. Pete's way sounds very clean and professional... doesn't sound like pete at all. JK pete. If you could harvest the whole harness, that would be great. And if you have some way of testing the seat track before you buy it, do it. One of those 12v booster packs would be perfect for that. Mine has come in handy many times!!

Comment

Installing Power Track Seat

well i went to the junkyard yesterday and got me a passenger power seat assembly and track. I installed it today with a few modifications to fit it to the floor bolts. after it was done the seat looks like it is high on one side and low on the other side. I messed with the controls straighten the seat out and still no luck. When you sit in the seat it tilts to the right side. it looks like shit. this is what i got at the junkyard.

Power Seat controls and track assembly from a 1990 Ford Crown Victoria.

I don't get it does it have to be a 2 door track to wrok or can it be a four door. What is my mistake.

Comment

you need a 89 or older power seat track......they changed the floors in 90 getting ready for the aero panthers

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thank you so much scott. does it matter if it is a four door or two door.

Comment

Seat tracks are one and the same, mang. I have 4dr Police Buckets in my '87.
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

ok does anybody know which years the boxes had the wire under the carpet and were it runs too.

Comment

Some had it others didn't. You can run the wires from the fuse box under the carpet and to the seat. Petemang did that. The switch should work the same regardless of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              Some had it others didn't. You can run the wires from the fuse box under the carpet and to the seat. Petemang did that. The switch should work the same regardless of the year.
                              Easier to create a piggyback harness that uses the wiring already present for the d/s power seat.

I'm trying to remember, but it seems like the switch is what's actually side specific. I know I ended up repinning a switch harness when I broke a p/s switch and replaced it with a spare d/s switch.
                              Last edited by 1987cp; 03-24-2010, 03:46 PM.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X