Hood Ornament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood Ornament

Got a new one, and after fiddling around with the one on my car i realized i had no idea how to take it off. I figure the grille would have to come off but i have no idea how to take off the BS thats holding it on (my chevy was easier to disassemble) and i know the spring is going to have to come off but i have no idea how to get that off either. I was 5 seconds away from cutting the spring and gluing the new one on, but i thought you guys at GMN wouldnt like that kind of workmanship, so who can tell me how to swap ornaments on my 1980 Continental?

thanks in advance

I've done that before with my Old Town Coupe. Just look under the front bumper to see the two holders for the grille and you need a longer nut to bolts it out on the top under the front end. I think there are 6 bolts on the grille.
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

you will have to remove the grille. taking the grille out isent hard at all. i think is around 6 nuts that come off and your set. did you get the origonal MARK VI hood ornament?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        you will have to remove the grille. taking the grille out isent hard at all. i think is around 6 nuts that come off and your set. did you get the origonal MARK VI hood ornament?
        i figured it out, i removed more than is necessary though, and no i got another ornament. Some of you probably wont like it, but i do. Still havent got the actual ornament on yet, i just brought the assembly in the house.

Comment

Do you need to replace the base? If not you can just twirl the spring like a nut and it will wind itself off the retainer wires and you can pull the ornament out.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
            Do you need to replace the base? If not you can just twirl the spring like a nut and it will wind itself off the retainer wires and you can pull the ornament out.
            thats what i did, it just took a little persuading.

Comment

Working...
            X