Common firewall leaks for '90-'91?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Common firewall leaks for '90-'91?

I noticed some dampness in the front passenger floor while cleaning out the Bailey's... I'm starting round 2 of much deserved goodness for her this weekend.
    I'll be running a power wire through the firewall soon, so if anyone knows where I should start looking while I'm there, I'll send you some free LED bulbs if that's where I find a leak!

Part of my list is to install the subs & amps from the 85, doing this one so the amp rack can *easily* be removed to swap it out between cars (and to check/change the fuses ) It will incorporate awkwardly-located small padlocks so it will still be a challenge for someone without the key
    I also have a set of old school Polk 5 1/4" components that I reeeeally hope still work...!!!
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Check the grommet around the A/C drain on the firewall. Common place of leaks on all model years.

Comment

also check the drip holes in the door, the door weather strip, and heater core. It would really suck for there to be rust holes under the windshield, but that's also possible with the typical A-pillar rust boxes get. Can also be the loom between the body and the door.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Leaves/pine needles plugging up drain holes. windshield seal leak, seal at the heater core or fan motor, missing/leaking rubber body plug on firewall. Leaves/pine needles accumulation at bottom of lower fender.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
          I noticed some dampness in the front passenger floor while cleaning out the Bailey's... I'm starting round 2 of much deserved goodness for her this weekend.
          Is that what you named your car? Or are you just a really heavy alcoholic..?

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Cowl drain, under the screen on the passenger side when you got the hood open. You might also find that your recirc door seals are shot, or worse the door itself starting to rot away.
            Similar spot, the flat part of the cowl where the fender, a-pillar and cowl all come together, I found that the body sealer on mine had cracked there.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
              Is that what you named your car? Or are you just a really heavy alcoholic..?
              Lol... yeah, the floor was filling up with airplane bottles...

Nah, it's because she's smooth, creamy beige!
              I actually drink less than most people I know... I've had a 'handle' of vodka in my cupboard for probably 3 years now, lol... does liquor go bad?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll be taking a good look when I peel that carpet back.
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

There is a grommet in the fire wall on the right side, just below and to the right of the heater box... (A couple of inches from the right side kick panel... ) I ran my wiring for my emergency lights thru that grommet when I rewired them. (The Sheriff's office DID NOT know how to wire emergency equipment back in the 90's!) They ran wires from each piece of equipment to the battery... There was wires running everywhere! I narrowed it down to 5 wires. I pulled a PILE of wires out of the car....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

check the front windshield for leaks, if the seal leaks around the windshield that will run straight down the firewall, also the brake and gas pedal grommet boots tend to dry up and get brittle causing cracks.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                  -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                  1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

The wiring kit has arrived! And it's supposed to be nice this weekend

I ordered stuff from the same place I got most of the 85's wiring, they sell quality stuff at almost Wal-mart prices. Fine-strand oxygen free power wire, quality fuse holder, decent RCA cables with attached remote signal wire, good stuff. Cheap power wire makes baby Jesus cry, and it's usually more insulation than wire. (same goes for cheap jumper cables too, don't get me started...)

New Kord on The Block!Kord Speaker Wire – NOW in Red/BlackShop NowKlimate Outdoor Lighting and Speaker CableTinned OFC wrapped in UV Resistant PVCShop NowOEM Done EasyAdd our Ultimate Battery Terminal for a no cut installation of your factory battery cableLearn More Previous slide Next slide Down with the THICKNESS? Better Planning Better Results What’s new…

sigpic

Comment

yeah... but the cheap stuff makes my wallet happy and that fat insulation helped prevent a short. The issue has been solved so the insulation won't be cut any more, but still. the fat insulation was a nice touch. Of course I always buy a size up from what I need when buying super cheap stuff so it comes out the size I really need.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

SOme of that cheap wire is puzzling though. The jumper cables with the 12awg wire inside insulation that looks more like 6awg are stupid. I bought a set of cables that claim 2 awg (I'll believe 4 awg) for less than many of those cheap shitty ones sell for.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

All the wiring for my system in the 04 is from Knu... Good stuff at decent prices. Very impressed.
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Working...
                          X