Tripminder in a carburated merc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripminder in a carburated merc

Im wondering if it is possable to hook up a tripminder in my 84 grand marqius, its carburated but my manual shows that '84's came with a tripminder, and it also shows that an 8 track tape player was an option, but ive never seen one in a merc,,, pic is blury but you can kind of make it out,,,
    Last edited by Guest; 09-26-2006, 08:23 AM.

I think Tiggie said hes got or seen one in a Carburated car. If so, its just a matter of finding the right wires to hook into.
    Im not sure if those would be any different that a fuel injected one though.
    PS I moved this thread into the active area so more folks will see it
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

if you get a tripminder to work with a Fully carburated 5.0 without cruise control u da frickin mang..... datz all im sayin..... you gonna need 2 things for it to work.... fuel flow signal, coming from eather a installed fuel meter, or coming from a ecm. which i dont think happens to apply to you in that case. and speed signal.. if ya dont have cruise is gonna have to come from da trans.... other then that all u need is 3 simple things, bat + , switched 12v and a GROUND..... have fun....
      1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

I got it in the vic, pretty accurate and my cruise works too! I got a bad ground somewhere tho cause the tripminder cuts out every now and then.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

hey chris you want to see if your tripminder wiring is like ours??? see where the connections are?
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I know the plug and wires on my tripminder are the same, all I know that is different is the fuel flow meter on the front of my carb, well its plumbed into the fuel line. I could snap some pics.

Comment

ok,,,, 85crownHPP* thanks for moving my thread i realized where it went after i poasted it and i dident think i could move it
              anyway i do have cruise controll and i dont know if i would have the fule flow wire or not

Comment

Nate's got one in his 85...I dunno if the MPG works though, he has it mainly for the trip-odometer function...Which I'd like myself.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yup i just use it for teh odometer function since i have a 140mph speedo and it doesnt provide a odometer
                  The Best
                  Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Looks like myself and P71towny have the cars to document. The last weekend I was inwas packed with family things, so I never had a chance to check mine out. Sounds like he has done a little more research on the thing, though.

Here is a pic of my carb if p71towny wants to point out the fuel flow sensor (if it's visible in the picture):

1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'd imagine with a VV, the fuel flow wire is off the MCU, right?
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thats the thing, I unplugged my MCU once, started the car, and the tripminder still worked, if I remember correctly. I can check it out for you this weekend.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

must be a stand alone unit....
                          1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

Hmm, if thats a stand-alone fuel flow meter, I must obtain one of those and investigate the possibility of tapping that into a fuel line. That way it could be added to any vehicle using a carby. I wonder if I could come up with a way to simulate the speed input on one of those to a fixed 60 mph, that way it would read gallons per hour. It would be kind of neat to plumb one into the boat, though I don't believe it would hold up to a marine environment very well.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't know what the fuck type of carb you got tiggie but mine looks just like a plain jane ford 2bbl. I'll have to snap pics of mine, its more in front of the carb on mine. And yes its stand alone as the computer and all related wiring is stripped from my car, I only kept the bare essentials to keep all my cool accesories.

Comment

Working...
                              X