transmission making buzzing noise in park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission making buzzing noise in park

Im just wondering if any one knows why a transmission would make a buzzing noise in park, onece and a while when i put my car in park it will buzz and as soon as i put it in gear the buzzing noise will go a way, my transmission works fine and all, and the fluid level is full..

My brand new wide ratio does the exact same thing. Annoying isn't it?
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yes, bugs me cause it will only do it once and a while

Comment

Both the tranny's I've had in mine did the same. It doesn't really bother me since it's only happing in park.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Mine does it too, normal annoying AOD stuff lol
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Mine doesn't do that. The power steering pump makes a little more noise at idle though.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Check your shifter linkages, some bushings might be worn out and the metal parts might be touching directly - my stock linkage was tight and quiet, the connecting rod for the floor shifter tho has a floating end on the shifter's side, and idling vibrations cause that to start vibrating too, making a buzzing sound. It goes away when I touch the shifter, guess even the lightest movement of the shifter arm takes care of the rod's play.

Comment

he said rod's play

no seriously tho, mine does that too, annoys the damn piss outta me.....

if im slow and not up to my elbows in alignments tomorrow maybe ill get mine up in air and check my rod for play
                Last edited by LtMercDaddy; 11-02-2006, 01:00 AM.
                1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

ok ill check the linkage tonight ...

Comment

mine does it to in park and or when the selector is in 1st gear.
                    Usually I can just take it out of that gear and put it back, and the noise stops
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by LtMercDaddy
                      he said rod's play

if im slow and not up to my elbows in alignments tomorrow maybe ill get mine up in air and check my rod for play
                      Get your mind outta teh gutter! Geez, this place is full of pervs

Comment

I really don't think it's external. Sounds more internal to me.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yeah, my vic and towny do it. My towny didn't do it until after the shift kit tho. I wouldn't worry about it.
                          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Hm you know I did notice what I thought was the power steering noise in idle goes away as soon as I shift gears, so I suppose it must be transmission. It has a kind of buzzing sound like a horrible PS pump noise, so I guess I have the same thing y'all have.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When mine buzzed, I pushed the TV rod by hand and the buzzing stopped. Not sure what the deal is with that though.
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X