My Vicky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool!
    I have wondered what it would take to do this conversion but I never wondered enough to research it. Now I don't have to wonder and I don't think I am ambitious enough to do it myself.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      From what I recall, only thing holding that bracket are the two intake bolts. Everything else was for holding harnesses and bolting other bullshit to it. Also I'll leave info on the BMW sensor later on. But I thought I'd let you know. Quick reply won't let me press the spacebar. It won't space the words.
      IIRC the Ex uses all three mounting tabs for the coil packs, them things are heavy. Bring the car up one of these weekends and I'll buzz you a brace for the front leg running off the support bar for the alt bracket, quick and simple and effective.

I'd like the details on the BMW sensor as well. Probably set to temps too low for my needs, but still.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Love The EDIS Conversion

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Terrific!
          Donald

Comment

Yup he's about as bad as me with trucks, always some upgrade or another brewing... Team effort for the win tho, this kinda stuff is much easier to do when you can get a few other fellow nutjobs involved
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Neat!

As a laymen, why not just use an exploader ECM to control it??

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
              Cool!
              I have wondered what it would take to do this conversion but I never wondered enough to research it. Now I don't have to wonder and I don't think I am ambitious enough to do it myself.
              Yah right, I can see you hitting the yards for the stuff needed!
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                Neat!

As a laymen, why not just use an exploader ECM to control it??
                It's OBD-II vs OBD-I, a lot more wiring involved.
                Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                IIRC the Ex uses all three mounting tabs for the coil packs, them things are heavy. Bring the car up one of these weekends and I'll buzz you a brace for the front leg running off the support bar for the alt bracket, quick and simple and effective.

I'd like the details on the BMW sensor as well. Probably set to temps too low for my needs, but still.
                Did you not go on vacation???

The BMW switch is found on most BMWs prior to I think 2000? Don't quote me on that. It threads directly into the radiator and you can steal that and the pigtail if you want. I bought a new sensor, and harness, which I had to assemble. There are two varieties of the sensor, a higher dual temp and a lower dual temp one. http://nastyz28.com/forum/threads/re.../#post-2135139 What will also need to be done, is you will have to make an adapter taking the fitting from M14x1.5 thread to your desired pipe thread. Mine was 3/8npt which apparently dos not exist, so I made one out of a pipe plug, drilled and tapped for M14.

Comment

195/210 is still too low for me as I'm at 200 all the time, heck if I had my way I'd be at 220 (burns the fuel better) all the time but the fan clutch don't wanna cooperate with me on that, lol. OK so it's the sensor I was thinking of, and the stupid thing is I literally walked by a suitable Bimmer donor just a few hours ago. Ah well, not the end of the world.

As for vacation, yeah kinda, as in I'm not taking any big orders so I can focus on rebuilding my own shit - been fixing everyone else's while mine was falling in disrepair, t'was high time I did something about that as things were headed straight into the replace your frame area had I left them run their course... Still gotta add straps to my upper frame flanges actually, they're not looking very hot these days, damn thing rusts away while it sits worse than other people's vehicles while they drive them.

Comment

Drilling a brass pipe plug is how you convert from NPT to straight threads. If you can't find a hex plug, the other option is to get a 3/8x1/8 NPT bushing, then drill and tap that. $4 at the big box stores. Someone does actually make an adapter for this apparently, but its 22 bucks.

Using the BMW water temperature sending unit in the Chevrolet engine will make the BMW water temperature gauge read accurately. The BMW water temperature sending unit has a 14mm x 1.5 thread. Stealth Conversions has a brass adapter (shown above) that accepts the BMW water temperature sending unit, and has a 3/8 pipe th

If you want to get extra fancy, you can spend about 2 minutes doing some layout work so that it ends up centered and drill it on a drill press so its straight.

Temperature is quite useful on those, either 195 and 210F or 176 and 190 for the colder one.

Phil, not so much into probes. I evicted mine and went back to the old fashioned mechanical way.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      If you can't find a hex plug, the other option is to get a 3/8x1/8 NPT bushing, then drill and tap that.
                      That would be my preferred way of going about this job, as drilling out a hole that's already there is a whole lot easier and faster than staring with a solid chunk of metal, especially if one lacks a drill press.

Btw my e-fans are pushers, I got two off Benz cars and one off an Isuzu SUV. The Bimmer John mentioned as factory application for the 2-stage switch also has a pusher up front. To me a pusher fan is a great solution to lousy A/C performance while stuck in traffic - the smaller one of mine will get wired together with the compressor's clutch for that purpose, and the big one will run off a temp switch in the engine head. Both will have the manual engage switches on the dash for when (not if) the mechanical clutch fan dies.

Comment

I've considered a pusher fan specifically for AC reasons. With the underdrive pulley, the clutch fan kinda sucks at idle, and the AC sucks along with it.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok, I remember now - the big fan I have is from a Benz, the mid-size one is from the Isuzu, and the smallest one is from a Jag. Whenever you get up here, Gadget, we can test fit them in either your car or others, so we know what will work out best.

Comment

Took a ride in John's Vicky tonight, car pulls hard. Has a few minor idle quirks that I'm sure he'll find the solution to. It's pretty neat. The rev limiter is nice too, it seems to rev up faster than I remember.
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Friggin nice!!!!

Now when is that roots blower going on there since you don't have that stooped dizzy in the way?

Comment

As some of you may know, there is a part 2 to the EDIS swap. Part 2 is installing a 4r70w behind the 302. As we speak the transmissions differences are getting sorted out by Ivan up at Jessville aka the property formally known As Skippyville. Differences being the overall length of the transmission pushes to trans mount further back than the crossmember can allow. Solution I see would probably be move the mounting points for the crossmember itself to allow use of a OE trans mount. Also the shift linkage is completely different. So mating the AOD linkage to the 4r70w will also be a challenge. Only other thing being the vss hole is slightly too small for the vss to fit in. Kinda confused how that is as they used the same damn sensor from the first usage of the AOD till they stopped using VSS in 2005, only difference being they became internally sealed starting in 1990 (electronic clusters).

The transmission is bolted to the engine, will post pictures and updates eventually.

Comment

Working...
                                X