No announcement yet.

The 93 GM "Tank of Justice II" (TOJ2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really. It's mostly body rust. It's just getting the shit kicked out of it every winter. I tried to keep up. It was working for a while. Then I ran out of time. Because I have no more time.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Well, It looks like the Tank will be around for atleast 2 more years. We decided to buy the house next door and it seems like it's going to need a little bit more work than we thought. So, in order to fix the house up, we need to limit our spending. One way is to not have a car payment, incresed insurance, and increased fuel costs.
      So it stays.
      Now I have to make it run like a champ. And fix it up a little bit too. I might start with my sweet oil leak. Maybe.
      Just maybe.

-ryan s.
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

oil control = limiting spending. justify it that way.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good call!

-ryan s.
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Long live the Tank!

As we talked about at Scottfest, check out ecomodder.com for some neat aerodynamic ideas to increase your highway mpg's. Grille blocks, fender skirts, air dams, underbody panels, led conversions...and that's just scratching the surface. And most things made from cheap plastic or recycled parts.

sigpic
            - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

I'm now seriously contemplating tearing down that PI motor and putting a Teksid blick in. I can drop 83lbs from the front.
              Oh and they sold that house from under us.

-ryan s.
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Oh after they sold the house out from under us, we discussed about just getting the Excursion. Checked online. Gone. Sold. Poo.
                So, go Tank go!
                Just ordered a pair of Moog sway bar endlinks for a total of $7.67 through Rock Auto! I would highly recomment hopping on that before that deal passes!
                I would like a set of Aero PI sway bars now. I think that would be dandy. And I know EZ Pull has a few Aero CVPIs. Hmmm.
                And before I know it, I'll be throwing the snow tires on and the snow will be flying.

-ryan s.
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                  They sold the house out from under us...
                  That blows!
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

perhaps a blessing in disguise if it needed a pile of work.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

To A New Direction

I've decided to take the Tank in a new direction; mod-wise.
                      Thanks to MrMarquis, I've joined Ecomodder.com and had a look around. Seems like a lot of guys know how to get great mileage out of their vehicles.
                      And I know I've had some great mileage in the past. And now, we have recently seen a complete PI motor, OBD-II and COP conversion/install in an early aero.
                      Anyone can make a car go fast. Open the catalog and order go fast parts. It takes a bit of skill; driving-wise, and mechanial to build a mileage getter.
                      I already have a light Panther and one of the most aerodynamic ones. So I'm going to build a Panther that gets mileage. I'm talking serious highway mileage.
                      Here goes.
                      So, on the way to the Akron meet next month, I'm going to get a baseline for mileage, then mod from there.
                      I'm going to build a high-efficiency Aero. I'd like to hit 30 MPG highway by 2013 and hopefully, 35 mpg by Scottfest 2k13.
                      I know some of the mods they have are a little extreme. I intend on keeping my full interior, spare tire, wheel width, and so on. I will not put thinner tires on this car. I have to transport my family in it. Anything that will affect safety is not eligible for removal. Like side view mirrors.
                      Anyways, here's the list:
                      - Install power antenna. This would eliminate the wonderful stationary one.
                      - Install a 92-94 Crown Vic dash. This would accept the 140mph speedo and allow for further indication mods like:
                      - Change the HVAC controls to rotory knob. I hate the slidey ones. They just suck.
                      - Put the MPGuino display where the original HVAC is on the MGM's; in the middle of the dash. This device uses VSS and injector firing to determine a very accurate estimate of current mileage. This device is for pre-OBD vehicles.
                      - The start engine button will stay for ease of use for doing Engine Off Coasting (EOC). They highly recommend this method.
                      - Install A-pillar gauge pod with Vacuum gauge, Voltmeter, and possibly Tachometer. Vacuum for cruising, Voltmeter because I already has, and Tacho just because I don't need a Tachometer siganal generator with EDIS.
                      - Block out the front end. They install strips of weather stripping between the headlights to effectively "block out" the fron end, forcing the air to go over/around the car as opposed to through it.

The one guy managed to block out 6.7 square inches between both his head lights, which equates to roughly, a business card. I showed them this image:

I think there's something to gain there.

-Probably going to go with a WAP or Teksid block for the motor sitting in the garage. I lose 83lbs (Teksid) or 89 lbs(WAP) with these blocks.
                      - Move the exhaust exit points into the rear bumper and move some of the exhaust into the rear quarter panel. This way I can make a belly panel system for underneath. And with the exhaust up in the bumper, less crap to deal with under the car. I will have sheet metal squares made to go around the openings for the tips. Just the tips...
                      - Underbody panelling will require some work. Lots of sandblasting, POR15 and other crap. Also, new Energy Suspension body mounts, since I'll be dealing with that stuff. I'm going to make templates out of cardbaord and have my sheet metal guy punch all the holes and make my 90* brackets with the retainers for Cam-locs. Sweet stuff. And then I can save these templates for the SuperBuild (Slymer).
                      - They highly recommend a 5-speed swap. I can drop 40 lbs and have a better gear selection and get better mileage. I was thinking T-56 from a Cobra. But the wife doesn't see that one happening anytime soon. Neither do I. I'd rather drive the supercharged Marauder before the Tank gets a manual. Time.
                      - Possibly doing the moon eyes wheel convers for winter. They are proven to reduce the airflow and increase mileage.
                      My problem with that is I just did this last night:

Blast! Winter wheels looking like very niiice!

A lot of the efficiency comes from driving better. Or atleast being cognisant of what's going on and how to drive the most effective.

Well, that's the update for now. 210k with no signs of slowing down. Planned trips for September are Akron for the GMN meet on 9/22 and possibly oven pickup time at Scott's.

That's all folks!

-ryan s.
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

You could just fit a tripminder. it uses output from the ECM's fuel flow data wire and input from the VSS to work out fuel economy. May not be super accurate, but its reasonably close and works well enough to tweak your driving habits against. Just check what wire connects from the ECM to the digital dash, and that ought to be your fuel flow wire.

Comment

on the rotary knob climate mod... it'll take a bit of wiring and when I do mine, I'll draw up the schematic and set up a cross-over chart. There will be soldering involved.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm excited to see what you come up with Ryan. Depending on your results...may just persuade me to looking into finding an aero. And of course, you can't completely block out the front end, just mostly. I can't remember the formula, but most guys seem to follow the Nascar format of how many square inches to leave open compared to power output.

And fender skirts help too.

sigpic
                            - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

the slidey knobs on the early aeros do suck. The old box ones at least held together, but when they re-did that panel in 1990, the controls got real flimsy. Most of them feel like you;re gonna rip the lever right out if you move it, and more than a couple I've seen with broken knobs or sliders that moved but didn't actually move anything inside.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sick of the slidely-shits. I want to get those rotary knobs done. They look much better as well.

-ryan s.
                                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Working...
                                X