Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran into my first problem. I only had the exhaust manifold bolted to the head, not to the pipe yet. But i went to bolt it up, and the pipe wont quite reach anymore. The old exhaust manifold had a little spacer piece with a butterfly valve actuated by a vacuum doohickey, probably some emissions thing. But the newer manifold i had didn't have this. I also cant add it because the studs arent long enough to put it on. I'l try to get the studs out and put some longer bolts in, but i'm sure its going to be a bitch.

Got the EFI valve covers on. Almost have the tv cable hooked to the tranny, was a total pain in the ass for some random reason, i think i was just having a lot of brain farts. Just need to hook up that last little bracket on the tv cable, the U shaped one, but i wasn't sure which way it went, should it be like a u or an n when the cable is loose?

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
    front of the efi intake fitting under the front half......you are talking about the canister purge soleniod hose correct?
    Yep the hose that goes to the canister purge solenoid, but also, where does the vacuum line that goes to the solenoid hook up?

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

The canp solenoid on an EFI car is electric, not vacuum. One side goes to the manifold, the other side goes to the box under the battery. There's a small hole near the battery tray that the hose is fed through.

what little bracket for the tv cable do you mean?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        The canp solenoid on an EFI car is electric, not vacuum. One side goes to the manifold, the other side goes to the box under the battery. There's a small hole near the battery tray that the hose is fed through.

what little bracket for the tv cable do you mean?
        sounds like i need to get an efi cp solenoid then.

The last little bracket that attaches to the transmission, just one hole, the other side hinges on the end of the cable.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

That vac operated exhaust valve redirects the exhaust from that head through the intake manifold and out to the other manifold, helps warm up the airflow for faster warmups.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

the CFI canister purge is the white plastic disc near the smog pump with 3 vac lines coming off of it, one of em goes to the canister. You replace this with the newer electric one, the other end going to that one manifold nipple near the oil cap.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Officially pissed off this morning. After fighting for an hour with the nut that holds on the tv cable for no reason other than it hates me, now it wont move. its just stuck. And there is no way in hell to get the exhaust manifold lined up with the pipe without that exhaust valve in there, but the bolts are to short to put it in. And the bolts wont come out. So nothing but backwards progress today.

What year did they stop putting that exhaust valve on the drivers side manifold? My only idea now is to bolt that valve between the cat and rest of the Y pipe as a spacer, hopefully giving me enough room to bolt the rest up; ghetto, but it will be enough of a fix until i get a good exhaust soon.

Comment

What if you got a junkyard downpipe from a car that doesn't have the exhaust heat pass valve? I suppose you'd end up with 2 cats on that side (I take it the SEFI cars are the ones that didn't have that valve, and '86 was when they added another cat on each side), but it'd probably make things work more easily.

Hang in there, mang, I get frustrated with stupid crap like that too, but all you can do is keep at it, and it'll give in eventually!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I thought the heat flapper was gone on my 85, but I have 86 manifold on it with the stock cat/pipes... Ill double check to see if its there
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Use the stock 84 left side manifold and have a bung for the O2 sensor welded into your stock downpipe. Won't be quite an ideal solution, but it might be easier than fighting with it.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That butterfly was to help the car warm up quicker....
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Things went much better today. I got the exhaust issue fixed by unbolting the downpipe from the y pipe, bolting it to the manifold, then rebolting it to the y pipe. It was an easier angle to get at so it worked better. Still something not quite right with the tv cable, it will move, but seems you really have to pull it, even after i loosened up the nut on the tranny some. I'l look into that more later.

Got the fuel lines hooked up, put the fuel rails and injectors on. I used the fuel hose up near the fuel rails instead of underneath to make things easier. Its not as good looking but it works. Got the heater hose pipe thing in, and a couple hoses hooked back up. oxygen sensor wiring harness is in too. Will probably put in the computer and wiring harness in next, relocate the map sensor, then work on the upper, egr, tb,ect.

Comment

Put the computer in and started laying out the wiring. Hit some problems right away though. The harnesses along the back of the drivers side fender apron that link the main engine harness and computer with some of the other systems in the car do not match in any way. Its a variety of wires that go a lot of different places, TFI, A/C relay, Power distribution, Some heater a/c controls, and a few other places. They aren't very well covered in the evtm's and a few of the wires don't match the colors shown in the evtm. A lot of inconsistencies with the evtm's in this area. I've got about half the wires figured out so far, but have about 8 more to go. The bulb in my test light went out so i need to get another. Hope to get the wiring figured out by the end of today.

Comment

Ok, got most of the wiring figured out. Took a while pouring over evtm's, using my rigged test light, and tearing apart the old wiring harness but i figured out where everything goes. Only wire i haven't figured out yet is EEC pin #4 (ignition monitoring) dg/y dash i think, it had a single wire harness near the test connecter in the 84 setup, but not sure where it is in the new wiring harness. Was having trouble tracing it to wherever it went. Not ever sure what it does, and the wire color doesn't match the evtm's. Not to worried about that one though. Was able to transfer most of the pins from the harnesses that didn't match to ones that would plug together and get everything sorted out. Lot of random wires in there, 2 wires that went to the TFI module, 2 grounds, neutral drive switch wire that i decided was not important, a fuel pump relay wire, some other wires in that big round harness with two wires on the drivers side fender apron, an eec relay wire, a fusible link, something to the o2 sensor, and a few others i cant remember. I wrote everything down so i should be able to make sense of it later. Got the wiring layed out and some of the stuff plugged in. Never quite looks as nice as the broken in stock wiring harness but i'm sure the MPG boost will be worth the cluttered engine bay.

Have to plug in a few more things, then put on the upper, egr, tb, iac, throttle cables, tv cable, some hoses and vacuum lines, and i should be able to fire her up. I work the next three days so probably wont be back to working on it until sunday night.

Comment

the neutral switch wiring is sort of important. If its not hooked up, you won't be able to do a KOER code check. don't ask me exactly how the shit is hooked up. I only know its on pin 30. my evtm makes no mention of this even existing.

pin 4, ok. on the SEFI harness, there are 2 wires on the - side of the ignition coil. one is w/lb to the TFI module, the other goes through a resistor to pin 4, according to my 86 evtm its a dg/y wire. The resistor is about 3" long, a blocky grey rubber encased thing. Its on the start/ignition page in the evtm. no idea what will happen if thats not hooked up.
                              Last edited by gadget73; 01-10-2008, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I think the throttle cable might be different. I know the tv rod isn't gonna work but I don't see any real problems with simply installing the brackets for the TV cable off a later year car. Its going to be all those little details that are more frustrating than anything else. Wiring should be a simple matter. Only need a few wires from the ignition and back to the fuel pump. The rest is all self-contained.

The existing throttle cable seems to work fine, it bolted onto the efi bracket fine. The cruise cable doesn't work with the efi bracket though so i'l have to get another. Still having a problem with the tv cable though, it sticks really bad, you can pull it but it wont snap back, and it worked fine before putting it in. I havent taken it out again yet but its weird that it isn't working right. The nut on the tranny is supposed to be tight correct? And is this way going to get my tv pressure set correctly?: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw seems to make sense.

the neutral switch wiring is sort of important. If its not hooked up, you won't be able to do a KOER code check. don't ask me exactly how the shit is hooked up. I only know its on pin 30. my evtm makes no mention of this even existing.

pin 4, ok. on the SEFI harness, there are 2 wires on the - side of the ignition coil. one is w/lb to the TFI module, the other goes through a resistor to pin 4, according to my 86 evtm its a dg/y wire. The resistor is about 3" long, a blocky grey rubber encased thing. Its on the start/ignition page in the evtm. no idea what will happen if thats not hooked up.
                                still need to trace down and splice that neutral switch wire, i think i know what harness its in. And i did have pin 4 hooked up correctly, its just wired in way differently in the cfi setup so i had some left over wires.

Have the upper, tb, egr, iac ready to be bolted on, and most of the vaccum lines, ect ready. Have to run to the junkyard for a few small parts, then get the tv cable sorted out. Do a lot of double checking, check for fuel leaks, and fire her up. Hopefully be done tonight or tomorrow, i'l keep everything updated though.

Comment

Working...
                                X